Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cornell to UCD

Options
  • 26-06-2013 4:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hello all,

I am from the U.S. and currently attend Cornell University. I am studying statistics and international business. I am seriously thinking about going for a Masters in Quantitative Finance at UCD. I visited the campus 2 years ago and fell in love with it but I decided to stay in the U.S. for my bachelors because it was better suited for what I wanted to do for my 1st 4 years (collegiate sporting career, field of study, personal life, safer approach I guess, etc.) Anyway, can someone shed some light on the program and the job prospects after graduation? I would like to find work in Ireland after I graduate, but I feel as though it may be difficult as an American. Anyway, is it realistic to find work after I get a Masters there? I would like to become a citizen if possible as well so I would have to work there for 5 years I believe. I feel as though with a bachelors and masters in applicable fields of study I would be marketable but I worry about 1) the economy 2) being an American I can imagine it would be a hassle for an employer somehow... Also, please address the reputation of the program, from what Ive read online it seems quite great. Lastly, what would my GPA need to be to be granted admission into the program (4.0 range)? The webpage does not give a general range. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Hello all,

I am from the U.S. and currently attend Cornell University. I am studying statistics and international business. I am seriously thinking about going for a Masters in Quantitative Finance at UCD. I visited the campus 2 years ago and fell in love with it but I decided to stay in the U.S. for my bachelors because it was better suited for what I wanted to do for my 1st 4 years (collegiate sporting career, field of study, personal life, safer approach I guess, etc.) Anyway, can someone shed some light on the program and the job prospects after graduation? I would like to find work in Ireland after I graduate, but I feel as though it may be difficult as an American. Anyway, is it realistic to find work after I get a Masters there? I would like to become a citizen if possible as well so I would have to work there for 5 years I believe. I feel as though with a bachelors and masters in applicable fields of study I would be marketable but I worry about 1) the economy 2) being an American I can imagine it would be a hassle for an employer somehow... Also, please address the reputation of the program, from what Ive read online it seems quite great. Lastly, what would my GPA need to be to be granted admission into the program (4.0 range)? The webpage does not give a general range. Thank you.

I cant speak for your area of study whatsoever but I think I can safely assuage your fears about issues of nationality; there arent any. I have honestly never heard of a qualified candidate losing out on a job because there were not Irish. Now, as I said, I'm not familiar with the finance industry in the slightest, but I would be extremely surprised if people more knowledgeable than myself were to say that this would be an issue. You will have a masters degree, and an undergrad from an Ivy League, I think you will be fine.

All the best in your move, and I hope everything works out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 shikaakwa312

dr gonzo wrote: »
    I cant speak for your area of study whatsoever but I think I can safely assuage your fears about issues of nationality; there arent any. I have honestly never heard of a qualified candidate losing out on a job because there were not Irish. Now, as I said, I'm not familiar with the finance industry in the slightest, but I would be extremely surprised if people more knowledgeable than myself were to say that this would be an issue. You will have a masters degree, and an undergrad from an Ivy League, I think you will be fine.

All the best in your move, and I hope everything works out!

Wow thats great news! I was under the impression from irish people on various sites that it wouldnt even be worth a try. May i ask how you are so sure? Also, wouldnt the company have to file some sort of work permit? I would see that being a deterrent to hire a non EU cotizen. Sorry im really uninformed and misinformed about the process because not many people i know have or are leaving the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Wow thats great news! I was under the impression from irish people on various sites that it wouldnt even be worth a try. May i ask how you are so sure? Also, wouldnt the company have to file some sort of work permit? I would see that being a deterrent to hire a non EU cotizen. Sorry im really uninformed and misinformed about the process because not many people i know have or are leaving the states.

In answer to your first point there, its worth bearing in mind that Irish people are deeply pessimistic by nature in specific contexts, and currently any questions related to the country and/or job prospects are generally answered with a certain amount of disgruntlement. We're a nice bunch really, but I wouldnt necessarily be in a rush to trust that, quite negative, information. In saying that I absolutely cannot be sure, so dont trust me either! I just think that with the sheer amount of foreign companies based in Ireland (many of which are finance related), employing an American is not only not unusual, its not a big deal at all. As such, I would be deeply surprised if a company were to turn you away just because of something as simple and everyday as paperwork, for example.

Its great that you're thinking of taking this leap, considering you say that not many others are doing it. I guarantee you'll benefit greatly personally and professionally by taking this chance, so good on ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 shikaakwa312

dr gonzo wrote: »
    In answer to your first point there, its worth bearing in mind that Irish people are deeply pessimistic by nature in specific contexts, and currently any questions related to the country and/or job prospects are generally answered with a certain amount of disgruntlement. We're a nice bunch really, but I wouldnt necessarily be in a rush to trust that, quite negative, information. In saying that I absolutely cannot be sure, so dont trust me either! I just think that with the sheer amount of foreign companies based in Ireland (many of which are finance related), employing an American is not only not unusual, its not a big deal at all. As such, I would be deeply surprised if a company were to turn you away just because of something as simple and everyday as paperwork, for example.

Its great that you're thinking of taking this leap, considering you say that not many others are doing it. I guarantee you'll benefit greatly personally and professionally by taking this chance, so good on ya!

Sounds great thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Graham_Keogh

Hello all,

It is the best quant finance program in Ireland. Job prospects are good after completion, though Dublin is not the best city for serious quant jobs. You may have to move to London for better opportunities.

A first-class or high second-class honours degree in a relevant field will be sufficient for admission; I don't know what the equivalent US GPA is. They may ask for a GMAT, but just stress your stats background at Cornell if you apply. You may be let in without it. I have heard of people being pushed into the sister MSc. Finance program because they didn't have good enough maths/stats skills from undergrad. They do most of the same core modules, but get left out of the more quant-orientated classes.

I do not think being American will have any influence on your job prospects. In fact, an undergraduate degree from Cornell will likely help you and make you stand out from the crowd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement