Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get part time programming work.

Options
  • 26-06-2013 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hello guys just wondering where or how you go about finding part time programming work. I have just graduated with a 2.1 in Software development, done as a mature student(38 years of age). I have 2 children one about to start college and the other starting secondary. One car family in a rural area so working full time would be a big struggle for us. Is it possible that companies would be willing to take someone on that is restricted by family commitments or am I kidding myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Part time work doesn't seem to be touted as an option for programmers. I suppose it is to do with the nature of the business. Our jobs involve working on a codebase which takes time to gain familiarity with. For a business having a developer who is intimate with their codebase but only leveraging that value for a part of the work week doesn't make much business sense. On the side work such as maintaining software for small local businesses is the only thing I've ever really heard of in terms of part time in this business. Daily contracting is another but I think that would be nigh on impossible to keep to part time unless you were very picky on what you worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Typical part-time work, x days / week or x hours / day, would not be suitable for most development jobs. It simply won't suit most projects (managers! :pac: ).

It does not make sense to pay a guy for half a weeks work, thus requiring two weeks for a weeks work, when you could get the same work done in one week for the same amount.

If you were an expert in a certain field, or as previously mentioned, it's a small business where IT plays a small role, then maybe.

Many companies offer work-from-home and IT probably offers this more than most. This may be your best option. Some companies may offer this immediately, some after you are well integrated and of course, some, and maybe most, probably don't offer it at all.

IT probably has more flexibility that most work areas, but part-time is not a common one. You should see about work-arounds.

Many places offer flexi-time, i.e. you must be in the office from 10am to midday, and from 2pm to 4pm. These are known as core hours. Then it's up to you when you do the rest of the hours, e.g. work from 8am to 4pm or 10am to 6pm.

Some places will let you do an extra hour or two Monday to Thursday and then allow you to take all or half of Friday off. Where I have seen this in companies, it was a summer only thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I have heard of contractors doing part-time hours, but they would have had specific skill sets and experience. It's worth finding any contracting agencies in your area and giving them a go, but I'd guess it will be difficult as a fresh graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭robert18

Thanks for the replies, kind off realised this myself but was hoping there was a way it could be done. Its the fact my son has picked a course at a college about 6-7 miles away and daughters secondary 20 miles away that is causing the problem. Ah sure I will just have to find a way around it. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

stevenmu wrote: »
    I have heard of contractors doing part-time hours, but they would have had specific skill sets and experience. It's worth finding any contracting agencies in your area and giving them a go, but I'd guess it will be difficult as a fresh graduate.

This, I've only ever seen a part time arrangement with long standinging employees who have specific domain knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I've a friend that recently started working a (new) job doing a ~3 day week so to meet family commitments. This was discussed and agreed around the interview stage. Thing is she had studied hard to ensure she kept on top of certain technologies when she was off raising her family, so when she returned she was well able to demonstrate this.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

Might be worth checking out https://www.elance.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

foghlu wrote: »
    Might be worth checking out https://www.elance.com/

Get ready for the race to the bottom because you are competing with Indian/SE Asia devs.

Very little jobs that are acceptable for western devs.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭robert18

Thanks again for the replies. I would imagine I will have to try and get a year or twos experience and then ask about it.

Advertisement