Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruby on Rails

Options
  • 25-06-2013 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

All you web developers out their is it worth the time and effort to sit down and start learning Ruby on Rails ?

Do many of you program sites with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I haven't done any work with it but it is definitely on the map job wise in Ireland though nowhere near any of the major languages deriving from C. It comes up a lot in tech/start up news and seems to be somewhere in the upper 2nd tier in terms of language popularity from what I hear of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Cork24 wrote: »
    All you web developers out their is it worth the time and effort to sit down and start learning Ruby on Rails ?

Do many of you program sites with it?

Never used it.

Ruby on Rails is a framework that's been getting more and more popular, from what I've seen. There are already jobs going using the framework, and with Ruby taking over from php in at least one web course I know of, ( in NCI ) Ruby-based frameworks like RoR look like a good one to learn at the moment. If you don't know any others, I'd say it's a perfectly good one to start with.

That said, other frameworks to consider are:
    Django - based on Python
    and
    Laravel - based on php

If you have the time on your hands, you could devise a simple project, and build it using each of these technologies. Of the last two frameworks, Django is the go-to framework for Python web projects. Laravel, on the other hand, is something of an upstart in the php framework landscape, it's the one I'd go for, because it takes great advantage fo the latest improvements in php and is very cleverly designed. In the workplace, you might be more likely to meet some variant of CodeIgniter which is pretty cool, but it's been stagnating to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's very popular here in Germany. From what I see, RoR is very popular in Europe and Python/Django is favoured in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

There is a reasonable demand for it here in London

Advertisement