Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schmallenberg vaccination

Options
  • 25-06-2013 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Is anyone going to use the Schmallenberg vaccine, I am thinking of using it on the early ewes and was quoted 44 euro for 10 dose bottle but I must provide a prescription. If I leave a week between toxovac and sbv vaccine will that be ok?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Lastin, I think you need to contact the company involved. I don't think you will get a straight answer as the SBV vaccine has been rushed through to make it provisionally available and certain details are still being tested. I think that is likely to be one of the details. The company may be able to give you general advice.

The Toxovac daatasheet does say this: Safety and/or efficacy data are available which demonstrate that this vaccine can be administered the same day but not mixed with Enzovax (Vm 01708/4523). However, it should be given at separate sites.

The Bovilis SBV datasheet says this: No information is available on the safety and efficacy of this vaccine when used with
    any other veterinary medicinal product. A decision to use this vaccine before or after
    any other veterinary medicinal product therefore needs to be made on a case by
    case basis.

Full datasheet here.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Lastin wrote: »
    Is anyone going to use the Schmallenberg vaccine, I am thinking of using it on the early ewes and was quoted 44 euro for 10 dose bottle but I must provide a prescription. If I leave a week between toxovac and sbv vaccine will that be ok?

I was at an information meeting last night and the recommendation was to leave two weeks of a gap before and after.
    On the price, the company said it would cost about €3.25 to 3.50/hd so maybe you should try somewhere different

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have a few cases of Schmallenberg in my herd over the winter/spring. Given the amount of midges around, I am not going to vaccinate, the disease has been in the area since last year and the midges have been around for months now.
    If I didn't have cases I probably would vaccinate but I think there has been a lot of exposure already.
    The bulk milk test showed a very high exposure to the disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭WexTK

When is the optimum time of the year to vaccinate a dairy herd for virus?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Three weeks to immunity after last injection. You could in theory leave up to a month after the breeding season has started but I'd be suggesting having it done before the BS starts.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
Advertisement