Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not eligible for grant, loopholes?

Options
  • 25-06-2013 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I recently received word that I wasn't eligible for a grant. You may be thinking that I shouldn't need one if I'm not eligible but the bottom line is I do need one. Debts and other personal financial matters on my parents part play a role. I would pay for myself but I'm fresh out of secondary school...there was a contact number included with the letter, it stated I could inform them of any changes that might make me eligible for one. My main question is, that if i explained some of the financial matters in the household would they make an exception.
    I would prefer an answer that is sourced from experience

-Ger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Yes give as much Information as you can.go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

MeathLAD wrote: »
    I recently received word that I wasn't eligible for a grant. You may be thinking that I shouldn't need one if I'm not eligible but the bottom line is I do need one. Debts and other personal financial matters on my parents part play a role. I would pay for myself but I'm fresh out of secondary school...there was a contact number included with the letter, it stated I could inform them of any changes that might make me eligible for one. My main question is, that if i explained some of the financial matters in the household would they make an exception.
    I would prefer an answer that is sourced from experience

-Ger

Why did they say you were not eligible?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MeathLAD

Why did they say you were not eligible?

Because my parents make too much apparently. I wont go into the details of the financial strain in my house but I wont be able to go to college without a grant. The requirements for a grant are very biased, this thing of gross income is a load of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

MeathLAD wrote: »
    Because my parents make too much apparently. I wont go into the details of the financial strain in my house but I wont be able to go to college without a grant. The requirements for a grant are very biased, this thing of gross income is a load of ****

I'm really not sure what the circumstances of the financial strain are but if your parents income is over the limit then I cannot see that SUSI can do anything for you.

Have you checked the income limits?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'm really not sure what the circumstances of the financial strain are but if your parents income is over the limit then I cannot see that SUSI can do anything for you.

Have you checked the income limits?
    I have wrote a letter to SUSI explaining the situation (Which I was instructed to do). It's up to them now I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Have you looked at Further Education Colleges in your area. They may offer a more affordable route to the qualification you wish to achieve.

bisset wrote: »
    Have you looked at Further Education Colleges in your area. They may offer a more affordable route to the qualification you wish to achieve.

Nah man, I'm fairly set on DIT or NCI. Don't wanna be changing

Advertisement