Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the 10 oldest cities in the world?

Options
  • 25-06-2013 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

For various reasons, all of which are unimportant, I need to get a list of the 10 oldest cities in the world. I know it's a difficult question; I've searched online, and sources I've found offer conflicting information.

Damascus is generally agreed to be the oldest - even though there are some which give the title to a variety of other cities, I'm happy enough to settle on that one at least!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Moved from Popular Science, you may get a better response here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

baraca wrote: »
    Um, could be me, but didn't spot any Indus valley cities there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

And this has what to do with archaeology?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Perhaps the thought was that someone here dug one of them up?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Reoil wrote: »
    And this has what to do with archaeology?

Everything to do with archaeology I would have thought. Surely the dating of the earliest cities is built on archaeological excavation and carbon dating as opposed to historical records.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jimmyarch

This is a tricky question and likely not really possible to answer.

What exactly do you mean? Is it what are the oldest known urban centres? Or what are the earliest cities that are still inhabited?

We are lucky with cities like Dublin to be able to define relatively clearly when urban settlement began and see a truly continuous development of the one place into a modern city. However, this is not the case for the earliest urbanism in the Levant. Some cities such as Damascus claim continuous occupation but I sense that this is based more on tourism wishes than archaeological science.

Advertisement