Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommedations needed

Options
  • 25-06-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I hope this is the right place to ask this. At the moment I am nearing the end of a level 5 fetac course in ebusiness and web design. Using dreamweaver I have managed to create a site for a local shop which features a deli page.
    This page has an order form in it which is to allow customers to select a roll/sandwich and add fillings. The idea is to increase sales and help secure my job :).
    My problem is that my tutor has informed me that the form needs a database,sql and php to work. He suggested using tomatocart and i have been struggling with this as it seems to be intended for single products with out adding on extras like buying a roll but not adding butter,chicken,salad etc.
    I have no background in IT and the online tutorials are aimed at making sites like currys or argos. (hope you follow me there)
    so my questions:

can tomatocart be restyled to allow for a single product to have extras added to it?
    is there a site like w3schools for cms programs?

google has let me down on this search but my terms may be too generic.
    would it be easier to learn php etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

It would be useful to you long-term (and short-term :pac: ) to learn php and sql.

You need to look at the user guide for the software. In this example, it has a product, a laptop, which has attributes, like a cpu. So in a similar way you could make a base product, such as sandwich and add attributes, such as butter.

If you want to learn this software, use their userguide and documentation!

A quick look at this software, and it seems good, open source, multi-platform, and "Compared to other open source shopping carts, TomatoCart is unprecedentedly easy to use."

If you want to learn development then PHP and MySQL are a good start.

If you are only interested in this one aspect of IT then this shopping cart software is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

thank you, i will give that a try. This is a once off project but i am starting college in sept so i won't have time to go really in-depth with php etc.

The course I'm starting is a computer course :o the level 5 was to be a starting point. Things just got out of hand.
    I will let you know if I get this to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Thank you Onemorechance that worked great. It's been a long day with a lot of editing but now that i've been pointed in the right direction it is progressing well.

I don't know if its a lack of knowledge or simply not being able to see the wood for the trees but I read those instructions loads of times and did not spot how to do that.

thanks again.

Advertisement