Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EI B747 day on the life 1991

Options
  • 25-06-2013 8:07pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As the title states.....approx 20 mins of EI flight crew daily life in 1991. Personally I love the his 'n' hers Volvo's......safety first!!

http://www.neelb.tv/archives/aer-lingus-training/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

"At peak times there can be up to 5 transatlantic flights a day".

Good old pre-Celtic Tiger Ireland.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Jesus whoever typed that piece on the website really needs to learn how to type! :P

Aer Lingus Pilot Training 1991

In 1919 we produced this programme for Aer Lingus and the NEELB Careers service. It explains the steps then required to become an airline pilot for Aer Lingus.
    We followed candidates from early training at flight school in Perth through refreshers in the simulators ni Dublin to a transatlantic flight from Deblin to New York.

Although the programme does not reflect current Aer Lingus recruiting policy, it's a snapshot of life in the early 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Love it, 50 feet, 40, 30, 10, about 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

the captain had the throttles pushed up before the FO even had the pre TO checklist complete.. the FO just rushed through it really quick haha

I think that co-pilot was the captain of aer lingus' last crash in 86', the short 360

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

cuterob wrote: »
    I think that co-pilot was the captain of aer lingus' last crash in 86', the short 360

But this video was from 1991....was he demoted after the S360 incident?

Tenger wrote: »
    But this video was from 1991....was he demoted after the S360 incident?

i'm not sure, I sent the link to an ex-EI skipper I know and he said he thought it was him, it wouldn't be too unusual for a captain of a smaller plane to take the chance of eventually captaining a big jet by taking a senior FO role, the 360 was a prop plane after all

a recent example being the pilot who does the cockpit chronicles blog, he was skipper of the md80 for AA before taking back a FO role on the 757, he had an option of going and becoming a captain of the 737 but would be fairly down the list of seniority

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

FunkyDa2 wrote: »

Good link....I think I know the sister of the cabin crew member named in the article.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

the captain had the throttles pushed up before the FO even had the pre TO checklist complete.. the FO just rushed through it really quick haha

Yeah I noticed that too, haha, he barely had time to get all the words out before they were on their way :)

That was deadly thanks for sharing. Funny how 1991 now looks so, so old.

I loved the landing roll as well, the captain sounds like such a nice bloke to fly with. "You're on the glideslope now more or less" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Yes he was.

As a side note, one was a former Chief Flight Instructor,(at the time of the video) and one currently is the Chief Flight instructor of the same local flying club.

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

So,

How many 747 flight crew did Aer Lingus have at any given time, they had three aircraft correct, ASJ, ASI and BED.

What happened the crew once the aircraft were retired, were they moved onto the 737 and Airbus fleet, are any of them still about?

Pity to see the three like this below.....ASJ, what's happening there?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055514747

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

That is class!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Ah those were the days. Captain I noticed that there might be a chance of a cloud in the New York area so I have taken the liberty of giving you an alternate in a different country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

For those unaware, Cpt Paddy Costigan passed away 2 days ago.

RIP to him and I'm sure he'll be dearly missed by all who knew and flew with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Third pilots/Flight engineers as seen in the video as there roles where eliminated , what happened them where the redeployed in airlines to different roles or just made redundant ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

roadmaster wrote: »
    Third pilots/Flight engineers as seen in the video as there roles where eliminated , what happened them where the redeployed in airlines to different roles or just made redundant ?

The particular 'flight engineer' in that video was actually a fully qualified pilot and I can confirm is now a senior line training captain in another Irish airline.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

roadmaster wrote: »

In Europe most of them were qualified pilots rather than trained specifically as flight engineer.; growth in the operating fleet of aircraft ensured there were jobs.

In the US where more of them were flight engineers specifically and not qualified pilots, cargo airlines operating 727/747 Classic/DC10s (before the MD10 refit) were an outlet - particularly as they were often operating the exact same airframes after a conversion.

An Australian airline, Ansett I think, actually had their 757s built to move some controls to where the FE position should have been as the unions refused to operate them as 2 man. This was later changed and the panels were moved back!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

1123heavy wrote: »
    L1011 wrote: »

An Australian airline, Ansett I think, actually had their 757s built to move some controls to where the FE position should have been as the unions refused to operate them as 2 man. This was later changed and the panels were moved back!

Something Aer Lingus would have done :pac::pac::pac:
    Or they would have used actual pilots for the role of flight engineer and redeployed them as pilots when the role was redundant....which is what they actually did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

It didnt happen overnight either so both the FE affected in other airlines (non AL) and the companies involved had enough warning. Boeing had signalled for years that it was going all glass cockpit on the jumbo. Some retrained to fly, others went the cargo route and some retired. It was back in the day when packages would have been offered and the industry was heavily unionised so they wouldn't have been thrown into the poor house as would be the case today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Small and trivial point.....F/E station was only on the 767s re Ansett as far as I know. I scabbed a jump seat on one to Hamilton Island years ago. The F/E basically did nothing except monitor the EICAS which was the new electronic F/E. It just showed how powerful the unions were in those days to drive an airline to settle for a F/E station on the 767. Boeing must have been laughing like drains installing F/E switchgear.

http://webpages.charter.net/flyian/757-767/fe.htm

The biggest dial on the F/E panel there is the clock:)

Sorry for thread drift

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Hahahahahh brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

1123heavy wrote: »
    For those unaware, Cpt Paddy Costigan passed away 2 days ago.

RIP to him and I'm sure he'll be dearly missed by all who knew and flew with him.

From the video, he seemed like an absolute gentlemen and a character. RIP Paddy.

Advertisement