Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will I see?

Options
  • 25-06-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi guys, I recently got a skywatcher 200p dobsonian as a gift but I'm an absolute beginner. Apart from the moon and saturn, everything else pretty much just looks like stars. I'm just wondering should I be able to see anything different. For example if I were to see the Orion Nebula through this scope, what would it look like? There are thousands of images out there for this nebula but they are obviously long exposures and heavily layered and processed mostly. What would it look like to me through the scope? Would it look like a star, a different coloured star or would I be able to make out a nebula?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

There is tonnes of cool stuff to see with an 8" scope. Obviously that is lessened if you live in a light polluted city. Take the scope to a dark site for best use. Even in the city the orion nebula looks like a nebula, except it doesn't look so colourful as it does in pictures. On first glance it looks like a butterfly to me. However you will have to wait for winter to see that delight. On of the nicest objects is messier 13, the great globular cluster in hercules.

My best advice is to get a book like 'turn left at orion' or' exploring the night sky by Patrick Moore. These will guide you to these wonders. Aimlessly pointing around the sky, you are unlikely to find too much by chance. Grab a book, learn how to find stuff. The rewards will be immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

You should also get yourself Stellarium .

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

Thanks guys, I'll let you know what I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Keep us all updated on how you get on, and the difficulties/rewards you encounter :)

Advertisement