Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering or Science in TCD?

Options
  • 25-06-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I posted this in TCD because I really want to attend this college and I am thinking of doing Integrated Engineering. They say it's good if you know what area you wish to branch into and I'm keen on Biomedical. So, I'm just enquiring if the Engineering Course in Trinity has a good Biomedical base?

Anyone who has studied this or is in the process of studying it, I would be grateful for an insight into this course. I really like Science aswell and I love the idea of innovation and creating new objects for humanity so I feel engineering is for me, however at times I become doubtful and think maybe I should just do Science (TR071) and keep it safe.

If you have any advice for me, that would be great. I'm currently studying Chemistry, Physics and Higher Maths, sadly no Applied Maths, my school doesn't have it :(

Basically, I want to fill my CAO with Trinity courses. Anything Engineering or Sciencey entices me. I'm not unreal at Maths. I'm around a B1 maybe? I prefer Chemistry to Physics, but at times that changes. I'm passionate about Particle Physics but not Mirrors, ugh so boring.

So yeah, that became long-winded and I apologise for that. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, plmko :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

You should pick courses and not colleges tbh.

I'm going into 3rd year science and I'm specializing in astrophysics. Unfortunately in JF and SF the most useful physics tends to be the most boring physics so if you did end up doing science you'd better learn to love waves, electrical circuits and thermodynamics. Your mathematical ability doesn't really matter as they end up teaching calculus and linear algebra from the ground up (Same for engineering IIRC). As long as you're capable and willing to keep up the study you'll pretty much excel at anything mathematical. The really hard maths is left for the actual maths students. I'd recommend doing the geology modules if you do science. They're great and really change your worldview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

plmko wrote: »
    I posted this in TCD because I really want to attend this college and I am thinking of doing Integrated Engineering. They say it's good if you know what area you wish to branch into and I'm keen on Biomedical. So, I'm just enquiring if the Engineering Course in Trinity has a good Biomedical base?

Anyone who has studied this or is in the process of studying it, I would be grateful for an insight into this course. I really like Science aswell and I love the idea of innovation and creating new objects for humanity so I feel engineering is for me, however at times I become doubtful and think maybe I should just do Science (TR071) and keep it safe.

If you have any advice for me, that would be great. I'm currently studying Chemistry, Physics and Higher Maths, sadly no Applied Maths, my school doesn't have it :(

Basically, I want to fill my CAO with Trinity courses. Anything Engineering or Sciencey entices me. I'm not unreal at Maths. I'm around a B1 maybe? I prefer Chemistry to Physics, but at times that changes. I'm passionate about Particle Physics but not Mirrors, ugh so boring.

So yeah, that became long-winded and I apologise for that. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

This year was the first year of the biomedical stream, i didnt do it but it seems good. Theres a few very good lecturers in that area in TCD and the resources are good aswell

For maths, a B1 would be perfectly grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

In 3rd year Mechanical & Manufacturing engineering in TCD. So far the 3 years have been great. A lot of students will tell you that TCD is all theoretical (well that's what I was told). This isn't entirely true. There are group projects every year from each of the departments that get you working on practical solutions to problems be they mechanical, structural or electrical.

While it's great having an interest in a particular branch of engineering, go into the course with a semi-open mind. I went into the course dead set on doing Electronic and discovered after doing one of those projects that it wasn't for me.

The course is general for the first two years, and then you decide what area you want to continue in. Going into forth year you choose more detailed courses from a list. During this same time you make the decision on whether you want to proceed with a BAI or continue on to the masters program (5 years) Due to the fact that you will only be starting next year, I think you will not have the decision to only do 4 years. Masters will be the standard.

Like someone mentioned above, on your CAO don't choose colleges, choose courses. I know TCD is a fabulous university but limiting yourself like that might create an issues. You might think that Engineering in TCD will be the same as Engineering in UCC for example or UCD but you can't say that for certain. A lot of universities differ in how their course is taught and also what branches they provide at a later date. It's worth keeping an open mind.

Here are some videos from some of the projects done in Engineering in TCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Sparticle wrote: »
    You should pick courses and not colleges tbh.

I know that sounds logical, I just seem to like all the courses in TCD more because I like the college if you get what I mean?
    Sparticle wrote: »
    I'd recommend doing the geology modules if you do science. They're great and really change your worldview.

Really? I never would of thought of choosing Geology! I didn't do Geography at Leaving Cert level but I found the physical aspects of it interesting at Junior Cert level. Perhaps I'll give Geology a second thought..! It's just so hard to choose between modules. I want to do them all! :eek:

Thanks so much for your help though :p

plmko:D

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    In 3rd year Mechanical & Manufacturing engineering in TCD. So far the 3 years have been great. A lot of students will tell you that TCD is all theoretical (well that's what I was told). This isn't entirely true. There are group projects every year from each of the departments that get you working on practical solutions to problems be they mechanical, structural or electrical.

While it's great having an interest in a particular branch of engineering, go into the course with a semi-open mind. I went into the course dead set on doing Electronic and discovered after doing one of those projects that it wasn't for me.

The course is general for the first two years, and then you decide what area you want to continue in. Going into forth year you choose more detailed courses from a list. During this same time you make the decision on whether you want to proceed with a BAI or continue on to the masters program (5 years) Due to the fact that you will only be starting next year, I think you will not have the decision to only do 4 years. Masters will be the standard.

Like someone mentioned above, on your CAO don't choose colleges, choose courses. I know TCD is a fabulous university but limiting yourself like that might create an issues. You might think that Engineering in TCD will be the same as Engineering in UCC for example or UCD but you can't say that for certain. A lot of universities differ in how their course is taught and also what branches they provide at a later date. It's worth keeping an open mind.

Here are some videos from some of the projects done in Engineering in TCD.

Thanks for all that great information! I watched all the videos and I really liked that ye get to do some hands-on work because that is essentially what is attracting me to Engineering.

Just wondering, do you know of anyone doing the Biomedical Degree and what they think of it?

plmko :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

Thanks for all that great information! I watched all the videos and I really liked that ye get to do some hands-on work because that is essentially what is attracting me to Engineering.

Just wondering, do you know of anyone doing the Biomedical Degree and what they think of it?

The practical stuff that was linked above is useful but all in all ends up being a bit of a farce (i.e it looks good on youtube videos, but you don't learn much).

Engineering in TCD is difficult because the CA marks are usually so low, usually around ~20% for a module and since all the exams are in May, you will do some modules from Sept - Dec and sit the exam in May.

Regarding science, it seems that unless you want to do a PhD the career options are fairly limited, where as in Engineering an undergrad would be enough to get you started.

Biomedical: Biomed is a mix of Mechanical and Electronic Engineering. Biomedical companies such as Medtronic and Boston Scientific actively recruit Mechanical Engineers as well as Biomed and Electronic.

Mechanical gives you the most amount of options of any of the engineering streams. You won't know what you like until you do the course and sure you have 2 years to decide. Goodluck!

GodlikeRed wrote: »

Engineering in TCD is difficult because the CA marks are usually so low, usually around ~20% for a module and since all the exams are in May, you will do some modules from Sept - Dec and sit the exam in May.

What does CA stand for?
    Regarding science, it seems that unless you want to do a PhD the career options are fairly limited, where as in Engineering an undergrad would be enough to get you started.

That's a very useful piece of information, thank you. The sort of things people don't tell you. Next minute your finished your degree looking for a job only to discover you've to do a PhD before you can become employable.
    Biomedical: Biomed is a mix of Mechanical and Electronic Engineering. Biomedical companies such as Medtronic and Boston Scientific actively recruit Mechanical Engineers as well as Biomed and Electronic.

Mechanical gives you the most amount of options of any of the engineering streams. You won't know what you like until you do the course and sure you have 2 years to decide. Goodluck!

Those job prospects sound very appealing to me. Mechanical sounds interesting too! Thanks for all your help. I appreciate every bit of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I've just finished 3rd year in Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering. I would definitely recommend the course. Can't say much about the Biomedical stream other than that we share some modules with them. What I can say, however, is that the quality of teaching in Engineering in TCD is very high standard. I'm currently in an internship with many UK engineering students, and I've noticed that the education I've received in these three years has proved more useful than theirs in some aspects of the job, mostly due to the two years of common engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

They share a few modules with Mechanical & Manufacturing and I believe that the course in general is quite broad. This is mainly due to the fact that the course is relatively new.

I should also point out that TCD only recently opened a new Biomedical building where you will be spending a lot of time in the future if that is the stream you wish to go down. Not overly important for you at this stage but interesting.
    1914_001D.jpg

I also believe that your masters program may be subsidised compared to the other streams. Not 100% sure on this though.

Here is a link to information/subjects for the current 3rd year biomedical students. You can also use this link to go and look at the previous 2 years to get your head around what actual course work you will be doing in TCD as apposed to reading hyped up paragraphs from the prospectus.

The modules that mechanical and bio students share are Numerical Methods, Fluid Mechanics, Mechanics of Solids, Mechanical Engineering Materials and Mechanics of Machines

Hope all this info helps. Like I said you can also access all of the other years there too.

I've just finished 3rd year in Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering. I would definitely recommend the course. Can't say much about the Biomedical stream other than that we share some modules with them. What I can say, however, is that the quality of teaching in Engineering in TCD is very high standard. I'm currently in an internship with many UK engineering students, and I've noticed that the education I've received in these three years has proved more useful than theirs in some aspects of the job, mostly due to the two years of common engineering.

Thank you very much for this insight! Did you find locating work after your degree easy enough with your degree being from Trinity?

• Advertisement

gavmcg92 wrote: »

Here is a link to information/subjects for the current 3rd year biomedical students. You can also use this link to go and look at the previous 2 years to get your head around what actual course work you will be doing in TCD as apposed to reading hyped up paragraphs from the prospectus.

The modules that mechanical and bio students share are Numerical Methods, Fluid Mechanics, Mechanics of Solids, Mechanical Engineering Materials and Mechanics of Machines

Hope all this info helps. Like I said you can also access all of the other years there too.

Thanks a million man! These links are all a great help and I'll be sure to read through them thoroughly! Oh and loving the fact that theirs a new bio-medical building! :D

Thank you very much for this insight! Did you find locating work after your degree easy enough with your degree being from Trinity?

I haven't graduated yet! Still one more year to go. But I didn't find it particularly hard to get a summer internship.

I haven't graduated yet! Still one more year to go. But I didn't find it particularly hard to get a summer internship.

That's always good to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

LOL
    Summer Internships are hard to get in Mechanical. It is only easy when you get one.

LOL
    Summer Internships are hard to get in Mechanical. It is only easy when you get one.

I was just stating my experience. I can't really comment for everyone else. =/

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

I just finished my first year in Engineering. It's good that you've done chemistry. It's a relatively easy module if you've done it for Leaving Cert. (Or so I'm told, I'd never done it before and I hated the module.) Same with physics. (I did like physics.)

It is very theoretical. You do one to two experiments a week and one practical module in the second semester. It is very mathsy. Regardless of your standard in it, you should at least enjoy maths if you want to do the course because there's relatively little learning off in the course. It's mostly applying your understanding to maths problems.

If you have any questions you can PM me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 c32341231

Hi, just wondering what you decided to do. I'm literally in the same boat now, trying to decide between engineering and science.

Advertisement