Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one to pick

Options
  • 25-06-2013 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

So I've been doing some heavy reading over the past few days and I've come to a cross roads about which telescope I should buy. I've been speaking with a guy in the scope shop and we've narrowed it down to two.

The NexStar 130 SLT with GoTo option with:
    • Aperture 130mm
    • Focal Length 650mm
    • Optical Type Newtonian
    • Useful Magnification 25x to 180x

Or a more powerful Skywatcher Explorer 200P without GoTo but spec:
    • Aperture: 200mm (8"), focal length: 1000mm, photographic speed: f/5
    • Parabolic main mirror
    • Limiting visual magnitude: 14m2
    • Resolution: 0.6"
    • Focuser: 2" metal Crayford with locking screw, T2 and 1.25" adapter

I had a reflector before but I was unable to find anything, even with hours of research and hours of trying. Is the GoTo option cheating as a start or would it be a better idea to start there, until I know my way around the skies?

Will the NexStar be good enough to get decent views of Nebulae and deep sky objects with it's smaller aperature? What do you guys think?

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

To my mind there's no contest - it has to be the GoTo.

The satisfaction of knowing that you really have seen what you wanted to see, rather than persuading yourself that you might have seen it, makes all the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

No contest for me - the Skywatcher!

Id go for the bigger aperture everytime.

Id go for the bigger aperture everytime.

You'll see more alright - but you won't have a clue what you're actually looking at :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

My very first scope was an 8.75" dob. At first it was a real pain to even find anything. I had a copy of Patrick Moore's "Exploring the night sky with binoculars". I found every object I could with that book and learned my way around the sky. Even today, many years lat, I can still find those objects in a few seconds. I'd never have learned that with a goto. Just my 2c.

Of course I agree its better to start off with binos, but the OP's post was about a choice between two scopes.

• Advertisement

I wasnt suggesting binos.

Sorry I see where my post is confusing, I used the book to help me find the objects using the dob.

You'll see more alright - but you won't have a clue what you're actually looking at :pac:

I know my way around the night sky, I'd never have learned it with a GoTo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

I would pick aperture over goto for visual work all day every day.

Just get a good star atlas and away you go.

Half the fun is the search!!

Kersh wrote: »
    Half the fun is the search!!

Couldnt agree more!

If youre going to view the night sky using a GoTo - you might as well just go and stand next to someone who knows what they are doing and ask them to look through their scope when they have something to show.

I have had many satisfying hours finding things in my scope, there is a sense of achievement to find something by yourself. Of course I have had many frustrating times also but that is part of the learning process.

If you are having trouble identifying what you are seeing, then you get better identification books, star charts, do a course, join a local astronomy club etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I learned to find my way around long before GoTo was available. I am glad I did. Today when I am in work of an evening I can look up and find my way around easy enough, and point out such things as "No that is Vega not the North Star. The North Star is that dimmish one over there" "No that is not Mars you are looking at Aldeberan, I know it looks red so well done on seeing that" Stuff like that. I am able to get folks interested, and some are now even better than me. (Not that being better than me is hard by the way.)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Thanks for the advice folks.

I ordered the GoTo simply because I am so brutal at finding stuff. I have went hours and nights hunting to no avail, I think once I become a little more experienced I can avail of the option to find things manually, as opposed to having a manual option only and later wanting a GoTo, which would be an expensive change!!

I hope I made the right decision.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Super, you will get lots of enjoyment out of it :)

How much was it, landed at your door?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Kersh wrote: »
    Super, you will get lots of enjoyment out of it :)

How much was it, landed at your door?

Cheers man.

The scope came to €449 including a few eyepieces and what not.

And I ordered a 2x Barlow 1.25" to go with it for €29.90

Postage cost €6

Total: 484.90 EUR to have it dropped off at the front door.

Good value?

Drakares wrote: »
    Cheers man.

The scope came to €449 including a few eyepieces and what not.

And I ordered a 2x Barlow 1.25" to go with it for €29.90

Postage cost €6

Total: 484.90 EUR to have it dropped off at the front door.

Good value?

Its slightly cheaper on Amazon (I had a quick look at the reviews there yesterday when you posted) - and free postage - would have worked out at 435 euro delivered.

Advertisement