Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PrePay Power - Cancelling Contract

Options
  • 25-06-2013 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help with this!

I spoke with Prepay Power on Thursday and agreed with them to have the meter installed and for them to supply my electricity.

They arrived on Saturday and installed the meter which took 5 hours after they caused a power cut in my home :(

I'm not happy with them, I've found since Saturday I've already used €25 and will be topping up again today. My electricity has never been this expensive.

I rang up to cancel as I did think I would have a cooling off period and the lady I spoke to said if I wished to cancel I would have to pay an upfront fee of €11.40 per month so €136.40 before they'd proceed.

I've looked at their T&C's and it states at 2.7 that ... If you enter into a contract with us, you have ten (10) days from the day your contract was made to tell us you want to cancel it.

The lady I spoke to is disputing this and is saying the only time I was allowed to cancel was from the time of speaking to them on Thursday to the time it was installed on Saturday.

Surely if I'm not happy with the service I have received so far I can cancel without penalty as it has been les than 7 days since speaking with them and installation.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

PopTarts wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help with this!

I spoke with Prepay Power on Thursday and agreed with them to have the meter installed and for them to supply my electricity.

They arrived on Saturday and installed the meter which took 5 hours after they caused a power cut in my home :(

I'm not happy with them, I've found since Saturday I've already used €25 and will be topping up again today. My electricity has never been this expensive.

I rang up to cancel as I did think I would have a cooling off period and the lady I spoke to said if I wished to cancel I would have to pay an upfront fee of €11.40 per month so €136.40 before they'd proceed.

I've looked at their T&C's and it states at 2.7 that ... If you enter into a contract with us, you have ten (10) days from the day your contract was made to tell us you want to cancel it.

The lady I spoke to is disputing this and is saying the only time I was allowed to cancel was from the time of speaking to them on Thursday to the time it was installed on Saturday.

Surely if I'm not happy with the service I have received so far I can cancel without penalty as it has been les than 7 days since speaking with them and installation.

Thanks

I will think the same as you. For now make sure you have times and dates when you call, also send email stating that part on the T&C's so at least you also have be in written in case any issue, another idea would be to send a register letter to them with the same information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It might be no harm to check with the Energy Regulator as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would go with a registered letter. Its to much money to lose to just send an email also you well have to have them out to remove the meter asap.until then you are stuck paying thought the noise with vouchers.

Did you sign a contact saying you own the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Thats shocking €25 for how long was that for how big is your accomadation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

A portion of your top up covers the 37c daily fee for the meter and a portion covers the standing charge and PSO (another 43c per day), more may go towards a previous bill, the rest is actual power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

How much electricty have you been using? My friend has the airtricty pre pay box and thinks its great. hes spending roughly €60 a month for family of 4. Since he got it they have become very energy aware which is helping them spend less.

Make a note of all the conversations you had with them, I would email them quoting the 10 day refusal in the contract but I would also send them a letter by registered post and make sure you keep a copy and check in a day or two to see if the letter was received and signed for.

Contact consumer affairs association and get information of them as to where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I have ESB's prepay meter in and €15 does myself and my partner a full week. We're in a 4-bedroom house, my gaming PC is always on, the kettle is boiled about 40 times a day :D and we both use the electric shower daily. Works out at about €120 every two months, which is less than what we were paying in our previous house under a normal bill system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I have ESB's prepay meter in and €15 does myself and my partner a full week. We're in a 4-bedroom house, my gaming PC is always on, the kettle is boiled about 40 times a day :D and we both use the electric shower daily. Works out at about €120 every two months, which is less than what we were paying in our previous house under a normal bill system.

How do you go about getting one of them? Can you pay for it or do you have to be in arrears before they fit one? My esb bill is always high

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭PopTarts

How do you go about getting one of them? Can you pay for it or do you have to be in arrears before they fit one? My esb bill is always high

http://www.prepaypower.ie/

It's not ESB, just another provider.

Not sure why it's costing me so much, a usual 2 month bill would average maybe €200.

My neighbour has it too and she loves it, so I don't want to badmouth them.

Have to give credit to the Energy Regulator - They were a brilliant help and advised me to put in a complaint and that they would then handle it.

I spoke with PrePayPower again and was given the same information as previous, that I was now tied to them and that once it was installed I waived my right to a cooling off period (which I'm pretty sure is incorrect). I logged the complaint anyway and was contacted by a manager who agreed to terminate it at no cost.

He was lovely and apologetic and has told me that my electricity won't be cut off while the switch is being made back to my original provider.

As I have already said, it didn't work for me, but my neighbour is happy with the service and finds her bills have come down.

I found the €25 I spent in 3 days was too much and this was me living consciously, I can't do that :D!

Thanks for all the replies.

http://www.prepaypower.ie/

It's not ESB, just another provider.

Not sure why it's costing me so much, a usual 2 month bill would average maybe €200.

My neighbour has it too and she loves it, so I don't want to badmouth them.

Have to give credit to the Energy Regulator - They were a brilliant help and advised me to put in a complaint and that they would then handle it.

I spoke with PrePayPower again and was given the same information as previous, that I was now tied to them and that once it was installed I waived my right to a cooling off period (which I'm pretty sure is incorrect). I logged the complaint anyway and was contacted by a manager who agreed to terminate it at no cost.

He was lovely and apologetic and has told me that my electricity won't be cut off while the switch is being made back to my original provider.

As I have already said, it didn't work for me, but my neighbour is happy with the service and finds her bills have come down.

I found the €25 I spent in 3 days was too much and this was me living consciously, I can't do that :D!

Thanks for all the replies.

€25 in three days means there is something wrong there. My mother has the exact same meter in with the same provider and she has two kids in there, as well as another two smaller kids that she babysits all week. €25 quid would do her the whole week, and that's even with some laying over into the next week! So that's definitely not the rates they charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭PopTarts

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    €25 in three days means there is something wrong there. My mother has the exact same meter in with the same provider and she has two kids in there, as well as another two smaller kids that she babysits all week. €25 quid would do her the whole week, and that's even with some laying over into the next week! So that's definitely not the rates they charge.

I know it's not the rates they charge. I think the rates are in line with other providers.

It's what 3 days cost me though and I'm not sure if there's an issue with my supply or what but I was paying a lot less with my own provider.

I live in a small(ish) 2 bed apartment with 1 child.

I wanted to cancel as i don't want to be tied to them after my own initial experience.

I know it's not the rates they charge. I think the rates are in line with other providers.

It's what 3 days cost me though and I'm not sure if there's an issue with my supply or what but I was paying a lot less with my own provider.

I live in a small(ish) 2 bed apartment with 1 child.

I wanted to cancel as i don't want to be tied to them after my own initial experience.

Only thing in an apartment that I think could rack up that kind of money would be storage heaters. Other than that though it's very odd. I don't know of any provider that would overcharge by that much!

Advertisement