Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handicapping in Snooker

Options
  • 25-06-2013 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭

Have noticed this mentioned in a number of posts. How exactly does it work and what are flyer tournaments? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Have noticed this mentioned in a number of posts. How exactly does it work and what are flyer tournaments? Cheers

Always took 'Flyer' to mean a competition which is started and finished on the one night, so usually a very quick format often best of 1 all way. e.g., the Monday Night Flyer.

Handicapping is just the points start that the lesser player gets in each frame as otherwise there would be no point in a lot of players entering a tournament, e.g., I'm a 3 reds, 3 blacks kind of player so if I see a few players who can rattle off 50 breaks amongst the balls are entering the tournament why would I bother, waste of a tenner.

In a club environment the managment get to know the players so the above mentioned player might play off a hcap of 40, I play off a handicap of 15 and the really terrible players play off 0.
    So I'd get a 25 (40-15) start against the first guy but start 15 down if I played the incompetents.
    All to try and make it an even game.

It should be flexible so that if I win the comp I get bumped up to 25 next week. Meanwhile if the other player gets knocked out in the first round 3 weeks running he could be dropped to 30.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 atourdeforce

Is it not the better you are the lower the handicap?
    I play in louth off -12 and sometimes have to give crap players a 50 point start!!
    It annoys me because im put on par with someone who doesn't practice, put hours in and is only there to win a few quid!!

Advertisement