Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick

Options
  • 24-06-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

R.i.p Mick Aston.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

RIP Mick Ashton he is a huge loss an incredible likable man who helped bring Archaeology to everyones Tv set & lives..

Thats a huge shock to hear that so sudden:(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jimmyarch

A really wonderful man, got to meet him a few times and heard him talk on multiple occasions. He really loved talking to students over a drink and was incredibly generous with both his time and thoughts. He arguably did more for archaeology in Britain and Ireland than any of us could ever imagine. A furiously staunch supporter of many minority views he was a breath of fresh air always!

A very sad loss indeed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Here's an interview with Mick Aston from his visit to UCD School of Archaeology in 2006 (page 89)
    I am really a field worker who likes field survey,earthworks and aerial photography; I do a lot of that,...
    A wonderful, gentle man without airs and graces.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Only found out about this today from a mate of mine. Bit of a shock TBH. Seemed like a lovely bloke who brought the past out for so so many people. EIP* Mick

*excavate in peace

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I must have had my head in a hole, just hearing this now, I'm in shock. A man of principles and integrity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭KnapperHandy

A night in tribute of the life and work of the late Mick Aston is due to be aired next Saturday(13th. July) from 7p.m. on Channel 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭KnapperHandy

Apologies guys,but the tribute night is to be aired on More 4 and not Channel 4 as stated above.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

As a tribute to Mick Aston, British Archaeology has made 'Mick's Travels' available.
    http://www.britisharchaeology.org/mickstravels

Advertisement