Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hooking a CRT to Jamma

Options
  • 24-06-2013 7:54pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know this has been asked a million times, But..

whats the easiest way to hook up a crt tv to a jamma board and controls?

Ive started working on this cocktail table I have.

Im trying to figure out the best way to go with it. Despite the fact id love to restore using all original parts, i just dont have the time to do it.

So id love to just put a 14inch tv in there, ive seen loads on adverts for sale. Im thinking then of buying a 60in1 board, disabling all games on it except space Invaders, so it will boot into that.

Whats the best way to hook up a 14inch TV, to a jamma board, to joystick\buttons?

can someone explain a supergun to me? (how do the controls hook up to it?) I seen this one on ebay and it has a scart connection on it, is this the easiest way to hook up a tv to a jammaboard? will i be able to connect the joystick and buttons to this?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/330941467578?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,554 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Supergun is simple and definitely the easiest way. Scart cable, psu and thats it!

You can get ones with screw terminals for the joystick and buttons.

Master of the Universe

The one in your link is for megadrive pads. Look out for the ones with the terminal block.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Cool, so its as easy as, TV>Scart>Supergun+PSU?

Im not clear on how the Joystick and buttons will wire up though? They wire into a block on the supergun do they? If so this sound great!

Is the PSU one out of a pc?

Master of the Universe

Thats the one I was talking about. Never used one but it looks simple enough to wire the joystick/buttons to :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

keithgeo wrote: »

Yeah the MKIII would be best one for your needs; screw terminals and RGB SCART out. Check out this link that shows the differences between the Voagtek models.

/Edit: There's one for sale here for £10 incl UK postage, worth a punt over the ebay one if you use Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

If your just replacing the monitor and keeping the loom, game, etc just wire the existing r,g,b,ground and sync wires straight to the scart connector
    Scart isn't on a lot of 14" tv's so make sure it's a scart socket

I basically have a cocktail table space invaders. im looking to replace the insides with a jamma board 60in1 that will boot only to space invaders.

What do you guys recommend as the best way to get a crt in there running the game? what combos of supergun, iPacs, crt arcade monitor, jamma loom, etc.. what do you think is the best option for me. ?

The only road i dont want to go down is LCD screen or PC.

Here is what im working with, the top one.. trying to figure out the best option for getting the inside workings going.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80954035

Master of the Universe

Well a CRT arcade monitor with a loom and a board would be ideal, but decasing a standard small CRT, hooking it up to a supergun with a PSU and the sticks and buttons wired to the terminals would be dead easy. Definitely the most straightforward solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Easiest option is to buy one of those superguns with the terminal screws for the controller inputs.

Cheapest option (and most satisfying if it works) is build your own, few meters of wire and a few resistors is pretty much all you need to build up your own loom - need a schematic ?

ATX power supply is overkill for the 60-1 board, they can be powered with one of those (much smaller and quieter) external drive power supplies - it should feed back power into the supergun as well if you go that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

are you just looking for a 14"arcade monitor?
    I have a few

Im basically looking for the insides of a cab that i can put in a cocktail table. Im looking for the easiest way to do it. do you have a 14" monitor, psu and jamma harness that is wired up and works i can just put in the table? Im trying to avoid wiring stuff haha, which is why i was asking about the supergun, id rather pay a few extra quid for a working solution than spend weeks messing around with wires! :pac:

I personally wouldn't bother with a supergun, whats the point? Its just a piece of hardware for no reason.
    All you need is a Jamma PSU or OLD ATX PSU, loom, 60in1, 14" TV+Scart connector or arcade CRT.

Could be done for less than €100 if you get the TV free or a cheap CRT

I have a CGA to vga converter you can have,
    this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CGA-EGA-YUV-RGB-TO-1-VGA-for-Arcade-Game-Monitor-to-CRT-LCD-PDP-Projector-in-UK-/160818784971?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item25718beacb

Its missing the leads tho so you'd have to do a bit of soldering but no biggy I'd say

I dont want to get into soldering to be honest, I would happily pay the extra money for the supergun if it means i dont have to fart around trying to figure out what wire goes where..

Thanks for the offer on the CGA to vga converter, i have no idea what it is!! Is that for connecting to an LCD? if so im looking to avoid that completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I'd say you as well off getting a complete working CRT/PSU and loom off Mitch. All should need to do is plug it all together with your controls and PCB.
    You'd might need to de-case the TV to get it to fit correctly and they are a bit tricky to keep together then.

Plenty of looms have pinouts printed on them like so
    harness_engadget_howto.jpg
    Then its just a matter or plugging in the spades to the microswitches, if you buy a loom without spades you can crimp your own on which will allow you to cut the wires to your required size for a neater look. No soldering needed.

just get a 14 crt pc monitor that will connect to a multi board,cheap on adverts...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I have an ancient 14' Dell you're welcome to if you're out my way

• Advertisement

is there a difference between computer monitors and arcade crts picture wise? ive tried pc monitors in the past and they didnt look the same to me.

Master of the Universe

PC monitors are a much higher resolution, the the natural scanlines look tiny. But it's a CRT, so it's a good start.

Trick would be to get either SLG scanlines or MAME ones going on it.

It really takes no time to hook up an original monitor if you can find one!
    4 or 5 wires and plug it in!

you might as well go the whole hog and do it justice!

Ok cool, so the best option you think is get a jamma harness, psu and a 14" arcade crt?

yep.
    if you want I can test the second one I got off mich and you can have it.
    I know its burned but would get you started.
    Theres a jamma psu on adverts at the moment for 20e,

Cool thanks, im back in work next week ill give you a shout then via pm. Im going to buy these two to start with..

http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/Blue-JAMMA-Harness.html

http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/Black-Arcade-JAMMA-Power-Supply.html

Do i need anything else? In one of the cabs i have there is a few other bits in there that go into the power supply, where do i get all them from? like the wire from the plug comes in the back of the cab goes into something then over into a power supply like that one above... if that makes sense.

those 2, monitor, buttons and your good to go.

Cool so.. i just bought these..

2 x Happ Standard Arcade Button
    (Colour: Red)
    2 x Classic Ball Top Arcade Joystick
    (Colour: Black)
    1 x Black Arcade JAMMA Power Supply
    1 x Blue JAMMA Harness
    1 x PCB Feet
    (Pack QTY: Pack Of 4)
    2 x Pack Of 4 Joystick Carriage Bolts And Nuts

should have asked me for the Power supply and harness,40+17 its a bit pricey.....

• Advertisement

I know, im pure lazy though, this will come straight to my door and already has the spade things attatched along with a daisy chained grounds haha..

Just need to get a 14" arcade monitor now. at least i think its 14 in the cocktail, not sure, i must measure it.

Advertisement