Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DB2 Express-C

Options
  • 24-06-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Anyone familiar with DB2 Express-C? I've downloaded it along with IBM data studio 3.1. My goal is to create a simple database that I can use for testing through a ODBC connection. However I'm really struggling with the data studio UI and there seems to be little to no support or help online.

I've created a database and ran a script against it. The script seems to run fine but no tables are appearing in the UI. I'm a complete noob to DB2. Any advise/links on how to setup a new database greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Anyone familiar with DB2 Express-C? I've downloaded it along with IBM data studio 3.1. My goal is to create a simple database that I can use for testing through a ODBC connection. However I'm really struggling with the data studio UI and there seems to be little to no support or help online.

I've created a database and ran a script against it. The script seems to run fine but no tables are appearing in the UI. I'm a complete noob to DB2. Any advise/links on how to setup a new database greatly appreciated.

Does it have to be DB2? If you are just looking for a sample data source for a ODBC connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Does it have to be DB2? If you are just looking for a sample data source for a ODBC connection?

Afraid so, Oracle & MS SQL Server is my usual testing ground but have a a client who wants us to test with DB2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

How do you know the scripts ran fine ?

I use DB Visualizer, connecting to DB 2 via JDBC.
    So if I create a couple of tables I'll see
    ... Physical database connection acquired for: My DB2 Schema
    16:43:09 [CREATE - 0 row(s), 0.234 secs] Command processed. No rows were affected
    16:43:10 [CREATE - 0 row(s), 0.121 secs] Command processed. No rows were affected
    ... 2 statement(s) executed, 0 row(s) affected, exec/fetch time: 0.355/0.000 sec [0 successful, 2 warnings, 0 errors]

In the output of DB Visualizer.

So the first thing is to confirm the scripts ran.

Secondly, are you using the same username and password to run the SQL script as you are to view the database ?

DB2 has the concept of database schemas.
    So make sure you're looking in the right schema for your tables.

If you know the schema you could try

SELECT * FROM <schemaname>.<tablename>

eg.

SELECT * FROM MYDB2SCHEMA.MYTABLE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Thanks CreepingDeath, the schema was being created but not displayed in the UI. Downloaded DB Visualizer and everything is working as expected. Will need to get the pro version for multi statement scripts but at least I can see the tables I'm creating!

Advertisement