Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 years today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

the_syco wrote: »
    So, any oldies on here celebrating 20 years of freedom? Do they find kids these days any more accepting of the whole gay thing (no pun intended there!).

As one of the "oldies" -- zimmerframe parked outside :P -- I had forgotten about the exact anniversary itself - but, yes, things are unrecognisable from 20 years ago, in so many ways. It's everything from the changes in law to the attitudes of people generally.
    Still more to do, of course, but fantastic to look back and see the progress. There are still too many people who live in fear/anxiety though. I think schools esp need to get their act together and protect kids from bullying and confront some of the attitudes that are still out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Only 20 years ago? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I am both delighted about this anniversary- because it decriminalised gay sex, but it also brought in something which I am working with people with intellectual disabilities to have changed. The same bill that decriminalised gay sex made it a criminal offence for anyone with an intellectual disability to have sex unless they're married, and it is almost impossible to 'prove' that they understand the repercussions of marriage (according to the law which governs that, which incidentally dates to 1871 or so), so it means that that rarely happens. Funny how one bill can free one sector of society and condemn another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The same bill that decriminalised gay sex made it a criminal offence for anyone with an intellectual disability to have sex unless they're married, and it is almost impossible to 'prove' that they understand the repercussions of marriage (according to the law which governs that, which incidentally dates to 1871 or so), so it means that that rarely happens. Funny how one bill can free one sector of society and condemn another.

Never knew this and very sad to hear it. It sounds like a very regressive law. Is there any prospect of it's repeal/amendment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

lottpaul wrote: »
    Never knew this and very sad to hear it. It sounds like a very regressive law. Is there any prospect of it's repeal/amendment?

There are a bunch of us (People with and without disabilities) working on getting the law changed. The big issue is the mental capacity bill which addresses things like capacity to consent to sexual activity keeps getting pushed back and pushed back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tito Man!

I think that my generation (those born from about 1980 on) are the lucky ones. While I'm originally from England, I've lived over here all my adult life.

In my lifetime, homosexuality has become legal and is becoming more and more accepted everywhere.

I would hope in my lifetime that marriage will become a realisation. I love the quote by James Carville, the Democratic campaign manager from the United States, on the subject of gay marriage: "When I first heard about gay marriage, I was against it. Then I realised it wasn't compulsory."

I do find the fact that the same law that liberated so many also restricted another minority. That is a horrible law. An absolutely draconian, despicable law. It needs to be changed. Everyone deserves equal and fair treatment, regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭johnreck

Im a little freaked that it was 20 years ago..
    has that much time really passed.
    i swear it does not seem to be that long ago..

Advertisement