Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Pride alone?

Options
  • 23-06-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hey

My Councillor suggests that I should go to pride (whole self-acceptance thing) but with my boyfriend being abroad, I don't fancy going alone I would just look stupid!

Does anyone go alone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Nobody would actually notice if you are alone if you go behind one of the popular floats like the george bus youll have a great time and it will definately feel better about yourself after. 20,000 people expected to march you couldnt be alone if you tried :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭TheFOB

Shouldn't boards.ie have a float??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I went to world pride alone last year, had a great time, you should go for it.

If you really don't want to go alone you can bring anyone you like along, it's not an exclusively LGBT event, everyone is welcome, so you could go with any supportive friend or relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I went to world pride alone last year, had a great time, you should go for it.

Fair play to ya, I went alone 2 years ago and felt like an outsider, very self conscious and had to leave. Didn't go last year. :/

I just happened to be in London at the time so I felt I couldn't not go, I also went to a few small free events that were on for pride month, maybe there's a screening or a play or something the OP could go to over the pride festival to test the water?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FiachDubh

You have a boyfriend...... and acceptance issues?
    Dude, the shrink is scamming you.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

FiachDubh wrote: »

Its like the most one sided relationship ever, and yes I do need help, the state of my left arm is testament to it

FiachDubh wrote: »

mod: Don't belittle the experience of others, or dismiss their problems. We don't know the OPs situation, this kind of comment is not helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FiachDubh

Its like the most one sided relationship ever, and yes I do need help, the state of my left arm is testament to it

my apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

The likes of Marriage Equality and Noise put out calls for people to march with them in the parade, go along and find them at the Garden of Rememberance beforehand, you'll get talking to people and/or roped into carrying a banner. Go for it, and do it with an open mind, everyone's in great form, and fcuk it, if you hate it you can leave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

went alone to local one last year, felt like it was time to walk the walk and took my dog for company. Not sure I'd feel the need to go ever again but glad I got it out of my system. Haven't exactly gone back in the closet but I definitely have found closure with some level of self acceptance. It's like job complete for me. (so much so that all this years events went past my radar completely)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Pride is a huge event with all kinds of possibilities for joining up with people, simply enjoying the atmosphere, hooking up with someone, meeting new friends, dancing, chatting whatever.
    All those possibilities are there if you are in the frame of mind to be able to take advantage of those possibilities and enjoy yourself. If you are not in that place it isnt the fault of Pride and it isnt your fault either.
    But if you get out there, you will at least be open to any possibilities that arise, then you just smile, act friendly, and join in.
    If you dont feel like it when you get there as a previous poster said you can just go home, knowing that it didnt work out because of where you were at and the mood you were in on that day and not the fault of anyone else.
    How do you think other people started out. People usually start out alone before they meet partners or friends to hang around with or people who share the same interests or activities. You have to get out there yourself, when you are ready, and make something of the opportunities available to you. Its all out there.
    Oh and you wouldnt look stupid there will be thousands of people milling around, they wont even know by looking at you that you are there on your own and who knows maybe you wont be.

I am just really shy about these kind of things. I am pretty sure that I won't speak to anyone. People seem to stick in clicks in these types of things.

What also is scaring me is the size of the thing, I can't stand crowds, I don't think I can do it

Doug89 wrote: »
    The likes of Marriage Equality and Noise put out calls for people to march with them in the parade, go along and find them at the Garden of Rememberance beforehand, you'll get talking to people and/or roped into carrying a banner. Go for it, and do it with an open mind, everyone's in great form, and fcuk it, if you hate it you can leave.

Its kinda hypocritical since I am not an Irish citizen so can't really see the point in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I think Im picking up that you are putting up some blocks to yourself going to Pride. Thats ok but realise that it is you who is doing this. We dont have a requirement that only Irish Citizens can look for change in this country and sure there will be groups of people who know one another but it is an amazingly friendly event.
    If you stand by a wall with a sad or unfriendly face people probably will keep away from you, but it is up to you how open and friendly you choose to be. Might I suggest taking responsibility for your own happiness, one tends to get back what one sends out.
    If you dont like crowds and you are scared that's you, its not anyone elses fault. You dont have to go but you are as welcome as anyone else.
    I think also that sometimes people who feel ashamed of being gay go along to Pride to experience just that, being around other people who are no longer ashamed and who are Proud of themselves. You might like to experience a bit of that and again if you are not ready thats ok but its not anything about the unfriendliness of thousands of people having fun in all their diversity.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its kinda hypocritical since I am not an Irish citizen so can't really see the point in it.

You live here and can vote here (except for referendum/president).

MYOB wrote: »
    You live here and can vote here (except for referendum/president).

You mean that a UK citizen can vote for the parliament?

You mean that a UK citizen can vote for the parliament?

You can vote in Dail, European and local elections. Regardless, as an LGBT person living in Ireland rights organisations active here are relevant to you, so it's not hypocritical for you to support them, even if they didn't it wouldn't be imo, all it takes is that you believe in their cause.

You can vote in Dail, European and local elections. Regardless, as an LGBT person living in Ireland rights organisations active here are relevant to you, so it's not hypocritical for you to support them, even if they didn't it wouldn't be imo, all it takes is that you believe in their cause.

I guess thats fair since my Irish friend can vote in the UK Parliament. I never voted in the EU elections when I lived in England or Scotland. Well yeah seeing Nick Griffin on an ballot scarred me for life.

I dunno maybe it would do me good. I am just vaguely nervous about these type of things, I have only been out for a few months, this would be my first one. I found it hard to go into a gay bar on my own for the first time, I was so anxious until one guy saw me and started chatting to me (he ended up taking me home). I found a gay bar really hard, Pride is like that x100 to me

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You could goto some of the smaller pride events this week instead.

I'm half thinking of going to TENIs event tomorrow (Wednesday)

Theres lots of events on

http://www.dublinpride.ie/events

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I guess thats fair since my Irish friend can vote in the UK Parliament. I never voted in the EU elections when I lived in England or Scotland. Well yeah seeing Nick Griffin on an ballot scarred me for life.

I dunno maybe it would do me good. I am just vaguely nervous about these type of things, I have only been out for a few months, this would be my first one. I found it hard to go into a gay bar on my own for the first time, I was so anxious until one guy saw me and started chatting to me (he ended up taking me home). I found a gay bar really hard, Pride is like that x100 to me

Going to in Jurassic for the first time is something I'd consider MUCH harder than going to what has at this stage become a family day out.

The main Pride event is a parade, and a very large one too. Its basically a smaller version of Paddys day at this point.

MYOB wrote: »
    Going to in Jurassic for the first time is something I'd consider MUCH harder than going to what has at this stage become a family day out.

The main Pride event is a parade, and a very large one too. Its basically a smaller version of Paddys day at this point.

I think having a couple of pints at the Front Lounge beforehand helped in that process. Seriously The George went ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fizzlefozzle

Can you hook up with people at gay pride?

Will there be beer and hot people?

Or is it just a gay march?

I want it to be a hook up thing.

I think having a couple of pints at the Front Lounge beforehand helped in that process. Seriously The George went ok

Couple of pints before the march will have the same affect if you're that worried about it.

You're not being expected to actually *march*, you live in the city anyway right? Just head out and watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can you hook up with people at gay pride?

Will there be beer and hot people?

Or is it just a gay march?

I want it to be a hook up thing.

Fizzlefozzle - come back to the forum when you have taken on board the advice we have given you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85255054&postcount=3

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85257706&postcount=13

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85260668&postcount=17

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85261264&postcount=25

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

azezil wrote: »
    Fair play to ya, I went alone 2 years ago and felt like an outsider, very self conscious and had to leave. Didn't go last year. :/

Myself and Mini Me are going into town for lunch and going to the parade afterwards.
    You're more than welcome to join us. :)

I have decided that I am going on Saturday, I will MAKE MYSELF go

Fair dues, I hope you have a great time, let us know how it goes for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Myself and Mini Me are going into town for lunch and going to the parade afterwards.
    You're more than welcome to join us. :)

Ewww I don't want to be associated with an admin :P ;)

Actually it's my mother's birthday so I won't be in Dublin this weekend, but thanks for the offer :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

azezil wrote: »
    Ewww I don't want to be associated with an admin :P ;)

Nobody would have known, I have a rep to maintain too! :p

Advertisement