Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anywhere in Dublin better than The George?

Options
  • 23-06-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

With my boyfriend abroad (open relationship) I got all bored and lonely yesterday and went to The Front Lounge for a pint on my own (lame I know) and after like an hour on my own the bar tender (she was lovely) said that I should hang out in the George if I am looking for "company"

So since I had nothing else to do I braved The George and well it is kinda erm "rustic" although I did manage to get a hookup with a lovely guy within 15 mins of coming in.

As lovely as the people is there its not really my kind of thing, it would be cool if there was proper gay bar but kinda more modern

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Interferon Gamma

I've heard great things about Panti Bar. It's on Capel Street on the Northside. Only opened a few years back so it's pretty modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Depends on what your cup of tea is. I'm not in Ireland at the moment, but off the top of my head - George, Dragon, Mother, Pantibar......and then clubnights? Were you in the big bit of the George or the little bar? Coz to be honest, while I dunno if I'd call the George a 'gay club', I'd call it a fairly modern gay bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

Doug89 wrote: »
    Depends on what your cup of tea is. I'm not in Ireland at the moment, but off the top of my head - George, Dragon, Mother, Pantibar......and then clubnights? Were you in the big bit of the George or the little bar? Coz to be honest, while I dunno if I'd call the George a 'gay club', I'd call it a fairly modern gay bar.

The little bit, kinda like a pub type of thing. Hey I met someone like immediately after I got in so I guess I am being slightly hard on it

I've heard great things about Panti Bar. It's on Capel Street on the Northside. Only opened a few years back so it's pretty modern.

I never knew that existed, I live in D1 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

The little bar is a completely different environment than the rest of the george. It depends what you are looking for. Are you just looking to pull or somewhere to hang out and listen to music ? What kind of an age group are you looking for.Panti is my fave place to hang out but they dont have a late license. Panti and Mother are the only ones which are part gay owned/ run.
    Dragon is a good mix of music fairly trendy pretty young crowd. Mother is very dancy kind of music but definately the coolest crowd.

• Advertisement

Rachiee wrote: »
    The little bar is a completely different environment than the rest of the george. It depends what you are looking for. Are you just looking to pull or somewhere to hang out and listen to music ? What kind of an age group are you looking for.Panti is my fave place to hang out but they dont have a late license. Panti and Mother are the only ones which are part gay owned/ run.
    Dragon is a good mix of music fairly trendy pretty young crowd. Mother is very dancy kind of music but definately the coolest crowd.

I guess 18-30 , never been to the Dragon before. I was just bored and lonely and well the George was open and I got some so I am vaguely happy. But I do like hanging out and just listening to music

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The little bit, kinda like a pub type of thing. Hey I met someone like immediately after I got in so I guess I am being slightly hard on it

Its nicknamed Jurrasic park ;-)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Its nicknamed Jurrasic park ;-)
    Elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭paulmorro

Elaborate?

Tends to have an older clientele.

Also Wednesday is velociraptor night.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Elaborate?

Its Dublin humour.

Jurassic = dinosaurs = older men

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I guess 18-30 , never been to the Dragon before. I was just bored and lonely and well the George was open and I got some so I am vaguely happy. But I do like hanging out and just listening to music

If all you wanted was to get some, then I would recommend grindr. No drinks or music but it does deliver hook-ups straight to your door.

The George itself is nothing like Jurassic. It's like the difference between Lady Gaga and Boy George

floggg wrote: »
    If all you wanted was to get some, then I would recommend grindr. No drinks or music but it does deliver hook-ups straight to your door.

The George itself is nothing like Jurassic. It's like the difference between Lady Gaga and Boy George

Grindr doesn't do it for me sadly. I think its kinda weird hooking up with someone based solely on a cell phone picture

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Its Dublin humour.

Jurassic = dinosaurs = older men

I think OP's first impression of it being "rustic" was the safest term I've ever heard Jurassic called!!:) I must remember to use that sometime when describing Jurassic!!

OP, I think you'd enjoy Pantibar for a pint (opposite Nealons on Capel Street) I think it's the easiest bar to enjoy a drink if you are by yourself and feel conscious about it (not that you should be:)) and with the very long bar, it's conducive to striking up chat with people on either side. It attracts a mixed young/old crowd.

I would think the FL barmaid was referring to the main George for you as it's far bigger and more youth oriented than the small side bar you went to. Dragon is also good and youth oriented but is more a club then a bar.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I never knew that existed, I live in D1 lol

I love Pantibar. Normally I drop in of a Saturday night if I am in town.
    Panti does a little show down the back at around 9/10pm. It's good for a laugh.
    Panti's Facebook page.

Advertisement