Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift for a friend diagnosed with breast cancer

Options
  • 23-06-2013 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

A good friend of mine who lives in the US has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She has just lost her hair through Chemo. I would love to be there with her but I am not financially in a position to fly over but would love to send her some small gifts to let her know I am thinking of her. Anyone have any ideas or experience in this?

Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Is she into fashion? What about a lovely designer silk scarf that she can use as a head scarf? My sister inlaw and various others I know who were unfortunate enough to be diagnosed (but all survived, thankfully - there are GREAT positive stories out there) all became headscarf fashionista's during and after treatment.

You could do a litle goodie box - nice scarf, bag of crystalised ginger (good for nausea)and maybe dvd / book / gift token for same. Check about the ginger though and make sure US Customs don't have a problem with it arriving. Is your friend Irish? Maybe including Tayto or Cadburys chocolate etc would be nice too.

How close friends are you? Is she a joker or a messer? I know a friend gave my sister in law a beautifuuly wrapped box in which she had placed a Groucho Marx style eye brow set and huge oversized afro wig. She got such a laugh and it really lifted everyone.

From my experience, I found the best way to handle it is with a positive, upbeat 'going to fly through this period and get you sorted' approach.
    Often people arrive with sympathies and fear and almost condolensces. While they mean well, they can often compound an already awful; experience.

Time out, pampering, positive honest outlook and treats - keep that in mind and you can't go wrong.
    Best of luck to your friend and you too x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Many thanks for the lovely ideas, I love the chocloate and Tayto crisps. Also the head scarf.

Not sure she is ready for jokes yet, still very fragile and in shock, but I would the say as (Please God) her health improves a fun wig will definitely lighten her spirits x

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

What a nice friend you are. Im sure even a nice letter would life her mood. I know she wouldn't expect anything. You could send her over some Irish sweets/chocolates, a relaxing cd with chill out music, a new book that has been released. You could send her a pretty notebook so she can write down her feelings or whatever else.

You could treat her to afternoon tea or something in a nice hotel, if you contacted them in advance and paid for it online or over the phone?

Advertisement