Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marklin Points/turnouts

Options
  • 23-06-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Bought junior a Marklin Cargo starter set in Lidl awhile ago, he really enjoys it bought a second loco and more wagons to use on it.
    There is a passing loop on the track layout that came with the set however when we put 1 loco in the passing loop both locos run even though one has points against it.
    Do marklin points not isolate like Hornby, peco ones ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

there are two types of point available. Insulfrog and electrofrog. Electrofrogs mean both roads can stay live. If you check underneath it you should see some metal connecting the different rails rather than just plastic like an insulfrog point would have.

These are meant for DCC really where it won't matter if it's live or not. The track is compatable with other brands so you can swop out the turnout easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Do other brands use the 3 rail dystem too ?

what set did you get that is 3 rail?
    http://www.maerklin.com/en/products/starter_sets.html
    I assumed it was one of the ones on the marklin site, all are 2 rail. Apologies. Red three rail I have no idea of the electrics involved in this but I imagine it is somewhat similar re the insulated and non insulated points.

it was a Marklin Cargo set from circa 2008. Anyone know if there are any Marklin dealers in Ireland?

don't think so, Marks Models on Hawkins St sell a few HO continental bits, dunno if marklin was amongst them. Worth giving them a call.
    There is also a guy called stevetrain on this site http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/ who is big into Marklin stuff, may be able to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Do other brands use the 3 rail dystem too ?

I'm struggling to think of any. Marklin produce great quality stuff, but they really are the Apple of the model rail world. Once you buy it, you're stuck with it. It's not compatible with all the other stuff I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 steventrain

What your layout is analog or digital?

If analog need the Marklin 74030 Center Rail Insulators, 72730 Control Box (on-off switch) and some wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 steventrain

There is also a guy called stevetrain on this site http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/ who is big into Marklin stuff, may be able to help you.

I am here.

It's analogue no Dcc

Advertisement