Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get the Intel drivers to work in a Lenovo G780

Options
  • 23-06-2013 6:19pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Make and Model: Lenovo G780 Notebook

Is it in warranty? Yes

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate

CPU, RAM, GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 (G780)

Software: None (clean installation)

Basic problem is simple; it was bought with out OS so I've slapped on Ultimate 7 on it (legal). It boots up fine and there's no issues. I install the drivers for motherboard etc. and still no issues. I try to install the Intel drivers Intel Video Driver for 64-bit Windows 8.17.12.9696(PhysX 9.12.0613 (latest from Lenovo's web site or the once from the driver CD) and they install with out issue (these are a requirement before I can install the Nvdia drivers on top).

How ever next reboot after the installation Windows will not start; the icon will come up, it will start loading for ~10 to 15s and then reboot itself. Second time around it goes into "Windows repair mode".

What I've tried so far:
    Clean install (inc. redoing partitions)
    Downloading drivers from Lenovo's web site
    Install all Windows updates before drivers
    Install Nvdia drivers directly (does not work)

The annoying thing is the PC installed these drivers fine before but after being sent into repair twice (keyboard had a "bubble" under it twice, first time only replaced keyboard, second time replaced all fans) it was wiped and now it simply does not work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

i know this is a silly suggestion, but can you get in in safe mode?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

RossieMan wrote: »
    i know this is a silly suggestion, but can you get in in safe mode?
    Yes; and if I go safe mode it's loading fine to desktop.

I've also run Memtest with out any errors but just got a blue screen of death (first time) when set to load with out error correcting screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How was it purchased with no OS

Why are you installing Nvidia software on a laptop which has no Nvidia hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Did you install chipset drivers before video. ?

there's 1 of either: intel OR nvidia hardware on these, NOT both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

whizbang wrote: »
    Did you install chipset drivers before video. ?

there's 1 of either: intel OR nvidia hardware on these, NOT both
    My first thought as well; yes I've installed all motherboard drivers, USB and every other driver short of audio and add on software for energy management etc. that was available beforehand on a clean install (to make sure there were no issues in the order I followed the Lenovo recommended order as well).
    Overheal wrote: »
    How was it purchased with no OS
    By picking the model installed with out OS (well it has a basic Linux based boot to command promp on it to be specific)? I specifically went for it to avoid Win 8 and it was bought new over the counter in a normal brick and mortar store.
    Why are you installing Nvidia software on a laptop which has no Nvidia hardware?
    Because the Nvidia drivers require the intel drivers to be installed first (error message if not) as it's a dual graphic card laptop. I've successfully installed both drivers now but the issue is still the same.

John, yes that's the one (but not with an i7).

Have you ran the intel driver utility?

usually solves any intel related problems.

Have you ran the intel driver utility?

usually solves any intel related problems.
    Sorry for the long delay in coming back (business trips...); ran the tool via the website and it did not work. Manually downloaded the driver and same result.

hmm that's very strange indeed.

What Nvidia driver are you trying to use?
    is this it?
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS028114

hmm that's very strange indeed.

What Nvidia driver are you trying to use?
    is this it?
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS028114
    Yes but strictly speaking the Nvidia drivers don't matter in the sense that they can't be installed with out the Intel drivers and if I install the intel drivers alone the system goes into automatic reboot.

The most annoying part is that the default drivers worked fine previously until they did a wipe of the HDD (as I had the system up and running but had issues with overheating).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

have you tried asking in the windows forum? as this seems to be a software issue/that may not be isolated to the fact that it's a laptop. Other tech heads there.

Is there a risk the graphics chip may actually be damaged after the overheating? and that's why the drivers won't work?
    Don't know if another GPU fits on the board just to try it ..probably not.

Although if it worked in safe mode, it seems some software is clashing with another S:.
    Have you tried disabling the intel graphics/driver after installing nvidia? See if nvidia takes over.

Advertisement