Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being very naive?

Options
  • 23-06-2013 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

Maybe someone here could shed a bit of light on this for me.

I'm currently doing a BSc in Psychology. In my course we do a lot of practical work. One of my modules inthe past year was an IT module. We had to design an application for a disadvantaged group which would basically make life a bit easier for them. So we had to do a lot of background research, market research, user testing and prototpe development. I really enjoyed this process. The bit I enjoyed the most was using Axure to develop the prototype. It got me thinking about IT.

Basically I'm wondering is there any job where I could be on a team helping to develop mobile application, websites or anything on a techology platform as a reasearcher with a bit of design and technological imput? Not really a pure content strategist or pure developer? Like a mix between the two?

I was looking at the UCD Computer Science conversion masters, I was thinking about doing that followed by a MSc in Cyberpsychology.

Really I don't know anything about what kind of jobs are out there so any information would be great. I've searched on jobs.ie and indeed.ie etc but I don't even really know what I'm looking for!

TL;DR version: I wanna get a job mixing development and psychology is there any out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ThrowinShapes

You could see about being a User Experience Developer. It can be seen as a mid-way point between a developer and designer, so you'd be responsible for the different mechanisms that guide the user journey.

You can read more here: http://uxmag.com/articles/hi-im-a-ux-developer-youre-a-what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

TL;DR version: I wanna get a job mixing development and psychology is there any out there?

e-Learning is a growing business.
    Imagine in 10-20 years that a child carries an iPad/tablet to school instead of books.

And being able to design a clever game that is both fun and educational to children is a winner.

I heard of some game ( mentioned in Security Now podcast a few weeks ago ), that gets children to cancel out equal symbols on different sides of a mathematical equation. After a number of levels, they're replaced with numbers etc, helping them to see how to simplify/solve equations.

So, in general you've got user interface design, e-learning, maybe forms of online therapy for mild disorders, personal development websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Cognitive Science? (UCD has an MSc in that too)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Accessibiliy testing is a requirement for numerous computer products both in the US and EU. This involves confirming the functionality of a site/product for those with health capacities fall outside the norm. OReilly publishing have a useful book which gives an overview of this : "Accessibility Handbook".
    Given the legal requirements and growth of legislation in this area, this should be an expanding field in the test/programme discipline

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

Fad wrote: »

Was going to mention that this is a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Maybe someone here could shed a bit of light on this for me.

I'm currently doing a BSc in Psychology. In my course we do a lot of practical work. One of my modules inthe past year was an IT module. We had to design an application for a disadvantaged group which would basically make life a bit easier for them. So we had to do a lot of background research, market research, user testing and prototpe development. I really enjoyed this process. The bit I enjoyed the most was using Axure to develop the prototype. It got me thinking about IT.

Basically I'm wondering is there any job where I could be on a team helping to develop mobile application, websites or anything on a techology platform as a reasearcher with a bit of design and technological imput? Not really a pure content strategist or pure developer? Like a mix between the two?

I was looking at the UCD Computer Science conversion masters, I was thinking about doing that followed by a MSc in Cyberpsychology.

Really I don't know anything about what kind of jobs are out there so any information would be great. I've searched on jobs.ie and indeed.ie etc but I don't even really know what I'm looking for!

Ux, as previously mentioned, seems most likely to me.

Also, maybe in AI/cognitive-science/reinforcement-learning?; but you'd be talking a relative small number of rare research oriented jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

I spend maybe half my time on UX and interaction design, and I'd say that could be worth looking into for someone with your education. Just for the craic, here's a list of concepts you could look into:
    • Human-Computer Interaction
    • Accessibility
    • Universal Design

Ultimately, I doubt you're ready to be a developer / programmer, but there are tons of positions in technology for people who are more focused on the human side of the equation. Not only that, but I daresay the positions are better paying, and the work a lot less monotonous.

I agree with most of the previous points, UX would be a good one and eLearning is an interesting and busy space. However, there are industry-wide challenges concerning linking up meaning with data, which remain to be solved and for which research work is available.

At this stage of of your education, you should consider the CNGL, which is a combined effort by universities and industries to try and attain some of the holy grails of interaction technology. There's some really interesting work being done, and the relationship with industry would bolster your chance of getting a job at the end of it, or you might get funding to attempt a "spin-out" company.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Fad wrote: »

I hadn't thought about this, just had a look at the course there and it definitely looks like something I would be hugely interested in. Thank you.
    I spend maybe half my time on UX and interaction design, and I'd say that could be worth looking into for someone with your education. Just for the craic, here's a list of concepts you could look into:
    • Human-Computer Interaction
    • Accessibility
    • Universal Design

Ultimately, I doubt you're ready to be a developer / programmer, but there are tons of positions in technology for people who are more focused on the human side of the equation. Not only that, but I daresay the positions are better paying, and the work a lot less monotonous.

I agree with most of the previous points, UX would be a good one and eLearning is an interesting and busy space. However, there are industry-wide challenges concerning linking up meaning with data, which remain to be solved and for which research work is available.

At this stage of of your education, you should consider the CNGL, which is a combined effort by universities and industries to try and attain some of the holy grails of interaction technology. There's some really interesting work being done, and the relationship with industry would bolster your chance of getting a job at the end of it, or you might get funding to attempt a "spin-out" company.

Thanks a million for your reply, so much information to get through. This is great, I have more options than I thought I had. Definitely a lot to think about.

Advertisement