Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any UPS experts here?

Options
  • 23-06-2013 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

Simple UPS question really that I don't think there is an easy answer to but as they say if you don't ask you'll never know.

I was advising a neighbor to put in a decent sized UPS in their home office as they do have some critical periods when they have to be online and we are getting more and more power outages.

Picking a suitable UPS isn't that difficult but what might be a problem is the warning alarm on the UPS, my experience of most of the smaller ones up to 1000KVA is that once the power goes the alarm starts and stays going till the power comes back on or the unit is switched off. Its no good if the UPS will keep say a laptop and router running if you can't work in the same room as it because of the alarm going all the time.

So the question is can you program the alarm on a modern UPS or turn it off altogether? In the past I've desoldered the piezo alarm on the PCB or added a switch as a solution but don't want to do that on a brand new UPS.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

You can disable the alarm on an APC ups through the Powerchute software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

mbroaders wrote: »

Thanks, which version of the software? iirc you always get some cut down version with the device and have to upgrade for any useful features?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mbroaders wrote: »
    On my APC UPS (Back UPS RS 550) you can simply disable the audible alarm from the front panel, no need for any Powerchute s/w.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Alun wrote: »
    On my APC UPS (Back UPS RS 550) you can simply disable the audible alarm from the front panel, no need for any Powerchute s/w.

Is that a one off job done operation to disable the alarm or do you need to switch the alarm off every time the power goes off?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eirator wrote: »
    Is that a one off job done operation to disable the alarm or do you need to switch the alarm off every time the power goes off?
    Either. Press it briefly when an alarm is going off and it will cancel it, or press for a long time (>2s) and it permanently disables the audible alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

UPS usually means APC
    I assume you've already used the selector www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector

As said press the button on the UPS but it may vary for each type
    Each product page will have documentation, e.g. www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=sua1000i

Advertisement