Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I voided laptop warranty

Options
  • 23-06-2013 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a little advice here. I was asked to have a look at my sister-in-laws Sony Vaio, which seems to have motherboard trouble (my guess is the SATA port, based solely on the fact that it acts exactly the same with the hard drive in as without it). While it is still under warranty, I've managed to damage the CMOS battery holder (clever, I know, but it was held in by 2 of the smallest, flimsiest bits of plastic ever).

So, have I voided the warranty (and cost myself a fortune)?

Also, if I get the motherboard replaced by an authorised Sony repair shop, will the warranty still be void, as the broken piece will also have been replaced.

Thanks.

Pelluci.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

pelluci wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for a little advice here. I was asked to have a look at my sister-in-laws Sony Vaio, which seems to have motherboard trouble (my guess is the SATA port, based solely on the fact that it acts exactly the same with the hard drive in as without it). While it is still under warranty, I've managed to damage the CMOS battery holder (clever, I know, but it was held in by 2 of the smallest, flimsiest bits of plastic ever).

So, have I voided the warranty (and cost myself a fortune)?

Also, if I get the motherboard replaced by an authorised Sony repair shop, will the warranty still be void, as the broken piece will also have been replaced.

Thanks.

Pelluci.

if it was under warranty why did you look at it ... should have simply sent it to them and await repair call.

any unauthorised repair attempt will invalidate warranty ... give it to them and hope they dont spot it

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

I know, I'm kicking myself for doing it, but I reckon it's the first thing they'll notice, as the battery will fall out as soon as they open it up.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

pelluci wrote: »
    I know, I'm kicking myself for doing it, but I reckon it's the first thing they'll notice, as the battery will fall out as soon as they open it up.

Thanks for the reply.

but they might think that the "pins" being broken could have been caused another way.... so send it off and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

Thanks for your advice, Corkbah. Got it back with a new motherboard (they probably fixed it as they couldn't connect the damaged CMOS battery clip to the motherboard failure).

Anyway, lesson learned. Thankfully it wasn't an expensive lesson.

Advertisement