Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass fishing setup

Options
  • 23-06-2013 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Any conversation I'm having about fishing lately seems to turn to bass fishing so I'm just wondering what set up is good for it. Il be spinning so I was just going to use my 11 foot pike rod for it
    Line weight 12-14lb
    Will that be enough in case of a snag.
    Also best times for it? And fishing off rocks or beach?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You'll ruin your good pike gear with the salt. Best to invest in a cheap sea set-up. Light gear with Bass is good sport. As for marks........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

For me 11ft is too long but some like longer rods. It would probably be to heavy for most soft plastics tho.
    Tronix pro have a good range of budget gear. They have a lure rod thats about 8 foot i think and casts 7-28g. Pair this with a shimano catana and you would have a good set up that wont break the bank but will last.. The rod would be ideal for soft plastics and will also cast most plugs. Value for money i dont think youll get a better rod.
    Stick a bit of braid on and have a look on agmdiscountfishing for soft plastics.
    The rod/reel combo should come in at around €80 and will last if looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭realrebel

.red. wrote: »
    For me 11ft is too long but some like longer rods. It would probably be to heavy for most soft plastics tho.
    Tronix pro have a good range of budget gear. They have a lure rod thats about 8 foot i think and casts 7-28g. Pair this with a shimano catana and you would have a good set up that wont break the bank but will last.. The rod would be ideal for soft plastics and will also cast most plugs. Value for money i dont think youll get a better rod.
    Stick a bit of braid on and have a look on agmdiscountfishing for soft plastics.
    The rod/reel combo should come in at around €80 and will last if looked after.

I prefer a smaller rod, I use a 8ft teklon concept which I love and a 3000 size shimano reel as the lads say it's way better on lighter gear
    I was out for the first time night fishing for them last night using lures and we had 21 bass in 2 hours fishing, it's good at day but Jesus it's way more fun at night
    We were using savage gear sandeels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

realrebel wrote: »
    I prefer a smaller rod, I use a 8ft teklon concept which I love and a 3000 size shimano reel as the lads say it's way better on lighter gear
    I was out for the first time night fishing for them last night using lures and we had 21 bass in 2 hours fishing, it's good at day but Jesus it's way more fun at night

was that off the rocks?

Great fishing.

SeaFields wrote: »
    was that off the rocks?

Great fishing.

It was in a estuary seafields at low tide, it was my first time night fishing for them and was amazed to see so many of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

It was in a estuary seafields at low tide, it was my first time night fishing for them and was amazed to see so many of them

low or high tide?

madchild wrote: »
    low or high tide?

Low water

Have ya ever tried flyfishing for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Isn't there a bag limit of 2 bass per 24 hours?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Isn't there a bag limit of 2 bass per 24 hours?

He didn't say he killed any of them ;)

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    He didn't say he killed any of them ;)

Fair point.
    I sincerely hope they didn't bag 21 bass.
    Surely he/she would be openly bragging about poaching that number of bass.

Fair point.

Every fish was returned alive To the water

Fair point.

JEALOUS MUCH:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I would be.! 21 bass??
    I never caught even one but never fished for em either. I fly fished in cork after a few mackerel and something a lot bigger than a mackerel came up and belted me fly but I didn't set the hook. Often wondered what it was.

JEALOUS MUCH:pac:

Well, I would be jealous except I reckon they caught the same bass 21 times:D:D

For me, though, I'd have landed and killed the first 2 then gone home to clean them and stock up the freezer.

I went fishing today.....steak for dinnner:mad:

I've only landed one bass ever and I sure as hell didn't put it back.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Well, I would be jealous except I reckon they caught the same bass 21 times:D:D

For me, though, I'd have landed and killed the first 2 then gone home to clean them and stock up the freezer.

I've only landed one bass ever and I sure as hell didn't put it back.;)

caught 27 schoolies btn 3 of us a few years ago. like the OP they all went back unharmed. Bass are extremely slow growing, a 5lb fish could be 10+ years old and would have spawned 3 or 4 times...

lee wullfs quote that wild fish are too important to be only caught once really does apply to bass.

has the size limit been increased yet there was talk of it going to 48 cms?

i only ever caught 1 myself twas 7lbs in kinvara i was fishing with a small pollock i caught while fishing for mackerel i did eat it as it was the first one i caught twas lovely...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

whelzer wrote: »
    has the size limit been increased yet there was talk of it going to 48 cms?
    Gone off topic slightly lol.
    This has been mentioned a few times but i cant see it happening. To change the policy on bass a lot of talks, meetings and votes would be needed at an official level. This would allow the commercials to get involved and that can only be a bad thing. They land enough under the radar already without doing it legally in broad daylight.
    The laws on bass are flawed in this country. The landing size (imo) is too small and i also believe a max landing size is needed. The closed season according to many experts is at the wrong time but at least we have it and a landing size. Its more than other countries have.
    Changing theese rules in theory is great, but doing so will get our stocks wiped out in a year meaning angling tourism in ireland would be dead also.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

How did you catch that cow?

So far I've tried grass, hay and silage but no luck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

.red. wrote: »
    Gone off topic slightly lol.
    This has been mentioned a few times but i cant see it happening. To change the policy on bass a lot of talks, meetings and votes would be needed at an official level. This would allow the commercials to get involved and that can only be a bad thing. They land enough under the radar already without doing it legally in broad daylight.
    The laws on bass are flawed in this country. The landing size (imo) is too small and i also believe a max landing size is needed. The closed season according to many experts is at the wrong time but at least we have it and a landing size. Its more than other countries have.
    Changing theese rules in theory is great, but doing so will get our stocks wiped out in a year meaning angling tourism in ireland would be dead also.

contrary to popular belief there is no ban on commercial bass fishing in ireland what there is , is a ban on irish boats fishing bass in irish waters.
    regard ing bass being landed under the radar, im not so nieve as to think it is not happening but due to a rigirous inspections of vessels it happens very little. uk registered boats can catch bass in irish waters and their quota is measured by the tonne and other foreign boats can fish them as non quota species. last year a couple of guys in the watererford estuary were arrested for having a few dozen bass while a uk vessel was in dunmore with dozens of boxes. recent scientific information stated that the bass stocks are in a healthy state and said it could sustain a limited commercial fishery, it will be interesting to see what happens , but im sure if the same scientists reccomended closing a fishery politicans would act straight away.
    why do we put so much emphasis on tourists fishing our bass and salmon, while i admit it is important and somebody will be able to put a value on each bed night, there is also a value for irish fishermen who live and spend here all year round. could we not have a commercial line fishery for bass like in wales and uk where each fish is tagged and sold as line caught gaining top price. dont forget our line caught salmnon is now commercial as tagged salmon can be sold and i see them regulary in local fish shop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

i only ever caught 1 myself twas 7lbs in kinvara i was fishing with a small pollock i caught while fishing for mackerel i did eat it as it was the first one i caught twas lovely...

Catching a bass in Kinvara is more of an achievement in my eyes than catching 21 in Cork, Fair play!!

Advertisement