Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alloy wheel on used car

Options
  • 22-06-2013 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

So I bought a car second-hand off a dealer and I notice that there is a slow puncture. It turns out that the alloy wheel has been repaired (welded) and the leak is on the weld. The dealer says he is under no obligation and that all he will do is send it off for repair for me but I will have to bear the cost.

I have it looked at by a local garage and they are undecided if it can be fixed (reluctant to do a repair on an already repaired wheel).

What are my rights here. According to the NCA - 'Second-hand goods
    Consumers have the same rights when buying second-hand products as they have when buying new ones. The goods should be fit for the purpose for which they are sold, though they might not be expected to be as durable as a brand new item.

Does this apply here in anyone's opinion/experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The car should be fit for purpose. It's not if the wheel won't hold air. The issue however is there is nothing to prove you didn't damage the wheel yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Just stick a tube in it and save yourself all the hassle.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

How long ago did you buy the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Its inside the 3 month warranty (just) but the leak was so slow, it took me a while to realize and try to fix what I thought was a slow puncture.

Judging by the reaction of the guys in the tyre depot when I said I was going to contact the dealer, I'd say a tube is the way to go.

Advertisement