Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should VAT be refunded as part of refund?

Options
  • 22-06-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

A company did some work on my house at a cost of over 4500e which includes VAT.I am not happy with work and I have asked for a refund.

They have agreed to give me a refund but say they cannot refund the VAT because this has been paid to revenue already.

Am I entitled to a refund of the VAT also?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭LeBash

baby fish wrote: »
    A company did some work on my house at a cost of over 4500e which includes VAT.I am not happy with work and I have asked for a refund.

They have agreed to give me a refund but say they cannot refund the VAT because this has been paid to revenue already.

Am I entitled to a refund of the VAT also?

Thanks

Of course you are. The company issuses a credit and the vat on that credit note is then deducted from the next vat payment to revenue or claimed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mick993

I would have thought so as they have a method of reclaiming said VAT from Revenue.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As mentioned of course you should get the vat portion of the payment back. They're pulling a fast one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

What a load of crap!

Vat is paid on the work done - yes, but if a refund is given, the VAT can be reclaimed. Either they dont know their arse from their elbow, they have a dumbo accountant, or they are trying to scam you somehow.

Thats the funniest thing I have read for a while.

Dont let them away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Wow they either haven't a clue or are trying to pocket the VAT on the refund.

They may very well have paid the VAT but will get that back when they account for the refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭baby fish

I had a feeling they were trying to keep the VAT,

Thaks all for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Did you get a VAT invoice from them originally? If not then I would doubt that they ever remitted the VAT to Revenue and they should be reported.

Advertisement