Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No nonsense smart driver

Options
  • 22-06-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Car insurance is coming up for renewal in a couple of months, best quote I've had so far is No Nonsense's Smart Driver cover for under 30's. 10% off at the start and up to another 20% off depending how careful a driver you are. This is checked by a device you have in the car for 6 months that monitors your braking and speed etc.

Just wondering if anyone has used this and what their experiences with it are? I don't really see any downside but maybe I'm missing something? According to their FAQ you'll still get the up front 10% discount even if your driving is bad, and would only be penalised when you go to renew the following year. They hardly share this data with other insurance companies so whats to stop you from switching to a different one if you renewal quote is high due to a low driver score?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I don't really see any downside

Handing that sort of information to an insurance company is a very dangerous thing to do. They decide that you drive too fast, brake too hard etc and they have the data to justify whacking up your premium on the basis of you being a dangerous driver or some nonsense like that. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭cletus

djimi wrote: »
    Handing that sort of information to an insurance company is a very dangerous thing to do. They decide that you drive too fast, brake too hard etc and they have the data to justify whacking up your premium on the basis of you being a dangerous driver or some nonsense like that. No thanks.

I think there are also restrictions on driving at weekends and rush hour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

cletus wrote: »
    I think there are also restrictions on driving at weekends and rush hour

Yeah as far as they know they look at things like how much you drive at night, and assess risk based on such criteria. Its just giving them an excuse to load you really.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Yeah as far as they know they look at things like how much you drive at night, and assess risk based on such criteria. Its just giving them an excuse to load you really.

I know what ye mean, giving them that kind of data definitely makes me a bit uncomfortable. But from what I can see, they can't use the data against you in the first year, and if the renewal quote is high because of it then there's nothing stopping you from moving to a different company that doesn't have that data right?

From their FAQ:

"Can the results be used against me?
    Your results will be used to determine the level of cash back you are due after 90 days and to help us calculate your renewal premium. We will not increase your premium in the first year or cancel your policy based on the SmartDriver results. However, your renewal premium may increase as well as decrease as a result."

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

I thought the same way, when they offered 30% off with a sensor they would put in my car. I said no thanks.
    I break the speed limit, they said they wouldnt monitor that. Yeah, sure and maybe I will read the actual terms and agreements with a solicitor. Its a trap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

KingCong wrote: »
    I don't really see any downside but maybe I'm missing something?

Drive on one of the recently downgraded national roads without going over 80 km/h ? Not ever overtaking any tractors or slow moving cars without having to drop a gear or two ? To name a few......

Advertisement