Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for apartment in Dooradoyle/Raheen

Options
  • 22-06-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hey guys,

First posting on boards after few years of eyes only..:p

I will be in working in regional hospital from early july, and was hoping to get a place of my own for about a year or so. I could go for a room, which seems to be the better option when looking to save money, but I get visits every now and then, and would prefer my own place.

What I am looking for is:

-one bed apartment around dooradoyle/regional hospital (walking distance)
    -good insulation and sound proof
    -budget is around 4-500 euros per month, but please correct me regarding the market rates if I underestimated it.

I've tried looking at daft.ie but i would like to know more options? Places like crescent court apartment is not even listed there..so yeah..

If you know any nice apartments (like The Strand) and their website plz let me know!

Also, how long is the bus journey from the city centre to the hospital, and what time is their earliest bus if anyone knows?

Thanks a million in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GoOnYouDirt

Hey OP! Do yourself a favour and stay AWAY from Cois Luachra Dooradoyle! Terrible place! Had the misfortune of living there for a year whilst working in the City!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Why not? Have looked at a few places there myself and they seemed ok? But everyone seems ok on first glance I guess.

Well I can't speak for everyone that lives there, but from my own experience it's a big no no. I was in an apartment, most of my neighbours were drug dealers. Boy racers flooded the place. Children constantly ringing all the buzzers, oceans of charity collectors. "Take away delivery drivers" constantly ringing all the buzzers in the hope that someone would let them into the apartment block. On top of that Roaches own at least most of the apartments I'm nearly sure. They owned the one we were in anyway, water from the drains and washing machine came up the sink and smelt horrid, dampness developed on all the doors and sills, fungus clocked the vents, and the carpets were grotesque. Sent four emails and numerous phone calls asking to fix the drains over a period of 5 months I never got a response. One day the ex-tenant called for her mail ( a very nice lady) and warned us to move out that she had a living hell with Roaches and drug dealers. She also said that it was the norm that they would burn out cars in the estate. I never saw this myself, but saw some dodgy stuff all the same. This post might seem over-exaggerated but I assure you it's not LOL. Worst year of my life! They also scammed 500 quid off us after we moved out.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jongaz

thanks for the replies..

so it's best to live in city center? how long is the bus ride/what's the earliest bus?

i looked up on daft and for 5-600 you can get a decent place in the city so that's one of my top options as far as the transport issue is solved..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

There is a big variation in the estates around Dooradoyle/Raheen, the estates on the same side / behind as the regional hospital / muclair rd/kilteragh are so so.....the estates across the Road are better, Meadowvale, Gouldavoher, The Grange.

Feel free to pm me...I grew up there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

jongaz wrote: »
    thanks for the replies..

so it's best to live in city center? how long is the bus ride/what's the earliest bus?

i looked up on daft and for 5-600 you can get a decent place in the city so that's one of my top options as far as the transport issue is solved..

Don't live in the city...its dead and most apartments are turning into slums

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Doom wrote: »
    There is a big variation in the estates around Dooradoyle/Raheen, the estates on the same side / behind as the regional hospital / muclair rd/kilteragh are so so.....the estates across the Road are better, Meadowvale, Gouldavoher, The Grange.

Feel free to pm me...I grew up there.

The estates behind the regional are fine to tell you the truth, its a very quite area with little or no trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Doom wrote: »
    Don't live in the city...its dead and most apartments are turning into slums

This simply isn't true. Of course, some apartment blocks are undesirable but I think you can get a feel for a block of apartments when you go to view a place and can judge it for yourself. Neither is the city dead.

OP, you could also consider many of the self contained apartments in areas like O'Connell Ave., which are usually basements of period properties or subdivided houses, so you'll only be in with one or two others rather than the apartment blocks. It's also on a direct route to the Hospital and you could cycle there in less than 10 minutes. €400-600 should get you a decent 1/2-bed in either town or raheen/dooradoyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Castlegrange Apartments, Raheen? might be more settled area.
    directly across from the Church

juneg wrote: »
    Castlegrange Apartments, Raheen? might be more settled area.
    directly across from the Church

how is the atmosphere? was looking at this place on daft recently and thought it would be a good option.. have you lived/know anyone who've lived there before?

• Advertisement

letsdothis wrote: »
    This simply isn't true. Of course, some apartment blocks are undesirable but I think you can get a feel for a block of apartments when you go to view a place and can judge it for yourself. Neither is the city dead.

OP, you could also consider many of the self contained apartments in areas like O'Connell Ave., which are usually basements of period properties or subdivided houses, so you'll only be in with one or two others rather than the apartment blocks. It's also on a direct route to the Hospital and you could cycle there in less than 10 minutes. €400-600 should get you a decent 1/2-bed in either town or raheen/dooradoyle.

Seems a good option! thanks and I'll take note!

Hey OP! Do yourself a favour and stay AWAY from Cois Luachra Dooradoyle! Terrible place! Had the misfortune of living there for a year whilst working in the City!

what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

how is the atmosphere? was looking at this place on daft recently and thought it would be a good option.. have you lived/know anyone who've lived there before?

never lived there sorry, just pass by it

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Well I can't speak for everyone that lives there, but from my own experience it's a big no no. I was in an apartment, most of my neighbours were drug dealers. Boy racers flooded the place. Children constantly ringing all the buzzers, oceans of charity collectors. "Take away delivery drivers" constantly ringing all the buzzers in the hope that someone would let them into the apartment block. On top of that Roaches own at least most of the apartments I'm nearly sure. They owned the one we were in anyway, water from the drains and washing machine came up the sink and smelt horrid, dampness developed on all the doors and sills, fungus clocked the vents, and the carpets were grotesque. Sent four emails and numerous phone calls asking to fix the drains over a period of 5 months I never got a response. One day the ex-tenant called for her mail ( a very nice lady) and warned us to move out that she had a living hell with Roaches and drug dealers. She also said that it was the norm that they would burn out cars in the estate. I never saw this myself, but saw some dodgy stuff all the same. This post might seem over-exaggerated but I assure you it's not LOL. Worst year of my life! They also scammed 500 quid off us after we moved out.

When did all this take place?

I have lived there for the past few years and have never encountered such trouble. The Roche family own between 5 & 10 apartments out of a total of 88. I have also never seen burned out cars anywhere in the estate. My neighbours have included doctors, project managers, healthcare consultants to name but a few. You paint a picture of Cois Luachra as being almost one step up from a slum which certainly isn't the case. I'm not saying the place is perfect but it certainly isn't anything like the place you are describing.

I wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending it to anyone.

As I said, can't speak for everyone who has lived there, I'm speaking from my own experience! This happened 2 years ago! Moving away from there was the best thing I ever did! And by the sounds of it, the best thing the ex tenant ever did too. She mentioned a lot more about that place but that would be second hand information and I'm not going to get into that! I indeed had a neighbour who was also a doctor, very nice chap! Not everyone there is awful, but the ones who are awful make up for it! Drug dealers, boy racers, drug addicts... To me it was a slum! One man's trash is another man's treasure and all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

I'd agree that Cois luachra is a kip. Feral kids going around damaging cars and graffiti appearing everywhere. Our lease is up in September and we are then outta here. Not a week goes by without something breaking, the walls are like paper, I could go on. Can't wait to get out.

Amen!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mentaaal

Hi,
    I live in Castlegrange and I quite like it. Nice big windows so the apartment is plenty bright. I have a slightly noisy neighbour upstairs but that only because I think they have a wooden floor but other than that I am quite happy to live here.

Advertisement