Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Graphics card.

Options
  • 22-06-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hello everyone.

I accidently spilled a drink (captain morgan + coke) (loadz) on my laptop Dell xps 15, which had 1gb nvidia graphics card . I noticed that graphics card went unreconised . Cant find it in device manager no more . I opened my laptop to check whatsup , and there was loads of sticky coke on motherboard and everywhere ,i know im happy that my laptop still works and all but i really need to get that graphic card to work again. And ofcourse i have to change keyboard cuz its really sticky when ya type....

Anyway please advise what should i do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Give up the drink :cool: ( sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The keyboard you can simply replace. I did the same thing with a laptop and 7 up. Turned if off immediately. Then dismantled the whole thing and cleaned the ZUP off everything I could get to. I even took out the fans and heatsinks and cleaned everything. heatsinks needed a lot of cleaning. Gave it about a week to dry before turning it back on. In the meanwhile ordered a new keyboard which I fitted when putting it all back together.

I don't think you going to know if you've permanently damaged it until its been cleaned out, and been running a while. If you don't clean it out dust will get stuck in it like toffee and the heat might damage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭OscarMike

Its been running for a week now . Problem is i cant find where gfx card is located on motherboard .

I'v seen problem appear weeks later as the dust and heat builds up due to the sticky interior. You might be lucky.

The GFX might be on the motherboard. When people say graphics card (ati or Nvidia) on a laptop, they don't realize its usually integrated on the motherboard. Very few laptops have the gfx as a seperate card.

I don't know what model you have but this below suggests it might be integrated.

http://www.upperedgetech.com/dell-xps-l502x-motherboard-c47nf-geforce-gt-525m-1gb-same-day-shipping/

Thank you for your help :)

http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/64-70905-19880/Dell-XPS-15-L501X-Main-Board-Motherboard-.html

This is my solution i guess :) It doesnt cost much so ill probably gonna get it.

• Advertisement

I think I'd try reinstalling the drivers before I'd go down the motherboard route.

Is there something you can't do with it at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If you're going to replace the motherboard, try cleaning the graphics card's pins with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Keep away from the alcohol.. thats what caused the problem in the first place ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Orlock

it will probably get worse as corrosion sets in, especially with anything sugary like Coke, it will fail sooner rather than later, sounds like a decent laptop if it has dedicated GPU, so might be worthwhile checking your house insurance ( if u have it ) and claim for accidental damage

I put laptop together today , everything works as a charm yay! Thanks to everyone

• Advertisement
Advertisement