Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rc helicopter

Options
  • 22-06-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

whats a good one for an adult? is the ones that occasionally come into aldi/lidl any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

They are likely 3 channel ones. You want 4 channel at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

channels?

One channel is needed per control. A 3 channel helicopter will have a channel for throttle control to control height/altitude, another channel to control forward and backward movement, and a third channel for rudder to turn the nose left and right.

A four channel one has throttle, forward/backward (pitch), rudder (yaw), and also left/right (sideways flight/roll). This additional channel allows for far more control. It is impossible to hover a 3 channel one properly in a fixed position the same way a 4 channel one can be.

The larger RC helicopters such as a t-rex 600 etc would have 6 channels, because they have variable pitch blades (via CCPM), and a channel to vary the tail gyro sensitivity, as well as the throttle and rudder.

But for the smaller fixed pitch helicopters, in my opinion anyway, forget 3 channels, and get at least a 4 channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Bruthal wrote: »
    One channel is needed per control. A 3 channel helicopter will have a channel for throttle control to control height/altitude, another channel to control forward and backward movement, and a third channel for rudder to turn the nose left and right.

A four channel one has throttle, forward/backward (pitch), rudder (yaw), and also left/right (sideways flight/roll). This additional channel allows for far more control. It is impossible to hover a 3 channel one properly in a fixed position the same way a 4 channel one can be.

The larger RC helicopters such as a t-rex 600 etc would have 6 channels, because they have variable pitch blades (via CCPM), and a channel to vary the tail gyro sensitivity, as well as the throttle and rudder.

But for the smaller fixed pitch helicopters, in my opinion anyway, forget 3 channels, and get at least a 4 channel.

cheers for the reply have you any reccomenations for one that wont break the bank?

Bob Z wrote: »
    cheers for the reply have you any reccomenations for one that wont break the bank?

Its a relative term about breaking the bank. That could be €50 for one person, and €500 for another.

But here is a site I used once or twice myself, and the page to all the small fixed pitch helicopters is here

There might be something there of interest and you can come back here about it. You could always go the aldi route, but I just wouldnt recommend anything below 4 channels if anything like proper control is required.

Make sure if you ever do order anything online, you get mode 2 radio, which just means the throttle is on the left stick compared to the other main setup, mode 1, which has throttle on the right. Mode 2 is what is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Here this site might answer some of your questions http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/

Advertisement