Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching English in China?

Options
  • 22-06-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I'm just looking at my options as I want to be doing something useful and productive with my life by September. Spending some time in a foreign country (preferably somewhere in Asia) teaching or working is something I've always wanted to do, and hopefully will get to at some point in my life, if not soon. Looking to get some views/experiences of teaching in China? Do you think it is too late at this stage to apply to work in China (or Asia somewhere) for September?

Any advice you guys could give be would be great, as I don't really know where to start with this. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

If you're looking for China teaching jobs etc, you can find loads listed here

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 martin60

Hi C4counter,
    There is a certain process to go through before presenting yourself at the Chinese Embassy in Dublin. (By the way, the embassy staff are very helpful). Check with their website visa section for information on what documents you require. Remember that you will first have to apply for a position with a school/college in China. The school, if they offer you a position, will provide the necessary documentation which you then present to the embassy. The embassy will only issue you with a work visa. Then, when you land in China you must register immediately with the local police. Your school or college will then , if they are competent, make an application for your work permit to the relevant government agencies. A thorough medical examination must also be completed. Sorry for putting you off : it is a complicated process but can be worth it in the long run. Again, a lot depends on the calibre of the school and their human resources department. Not sure if you will be able to complete the process by September but its worth a try.

Rules will also change in July of this year where foreign teachers will be required to hold a degree relative to the position for which they apply. However, sometimes things vary from city to city and also depending on the official you meet with on any given day. Be wary also of anyone who might advise you to travel to China on a tourist visa and then seek a work permit by using the 'Hong Kong Visa Run' for re-entry to China. Also, do some research on the school offering the position: while many are genuine, you will find that many others will offer you contracts that are full of promises. A good employer will offer you return flight ticket, accommodation allowance, limited medical insurance and a fairly decent salary.
    If you require any further information I will try my best to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 robwarman

Hi, did you make it to China for September? I work for a great school in Beijing who are hiring for February if you are still pondering what to do.. I would be happy to give you more information if you like?

Advertisement