Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam results Qs

Options
  • 22-06-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

After getting my results for first year there
    - i had a mix of firsts and seconds - averaging out at 71%

Am I able to say i finished with a first?

Does this mean anything for my overall degree or is it true that first year counts for nothing?

If it does mean something to my degree, would it mean more if i had all firsts or is it the average that matters?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Spacecow wrote: »
    After getting my results for first year there
    - i had a mix of firsts and seconds - averaging out at 71%

Am I able to say i finished with a first?

Does this mean anything for my overall degree or is it true that first year counts for nothing?

If it does mean something to my degree, would it mean more if i had all firsts or is it the average that matters?

Thanks!

First year doesn't count (nor does second year, for most if not all courses).
    Yes, you can say you got a first. The average is all that usually matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Depends on the course. JF may count towards your overall degree in some courses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Depends on the weight of the different modules. Your results break down will tell you if you have a first or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Well done on your results! As others have said probably doesn't count towards your final grade. you can still stick it on your cv that you got a first in first year. You won some book vouchers though!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

jd83 wrote: »
    Well done on your results! As others have said probably doesn't count towards your final grade. you can still stick it on your cv that you got a first in first year. You won some book vouchers though!

O I didn't realise there were book vouchers for getting firsts, is it if you get a first overall or for each subject? How much are they for and when and where can we get them do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

It's about €13/14 for getting an overall first. Examinations Office will send an e-mail around in October

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Anita Blow wrote: »
    It's about €13/14 for getting an overall first. Examinations Office will send an e-mail around in October

Werent given last year, so dont know about next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

They gave them out last year well at least to some people who got a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I got emailed about mine last year! Never bothered to pick it up though

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Anita Blow wrote: »
    I got emailed about mine last year! Never bothered to pick it up though

And this is why I should actually read every email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I didn't get any email, but my friend in another dept did. Apparently you could just go up to the Exams Office and pick em up. I never bothered because I'd only got a first in one of my TSM subjects so it was worth about €7.

They used to be €32 (I think it was £25 back in the day, so when we converted to Euro it became €32) and they were posted out to you, but it was cut last year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

And this is why I should actually read every email.

We were only told by the physics department at the start of the year, and then we only found out they were out because somebody went to the exams office.

Advertisement