Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Campus?

Options
  • 22-06-2013 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey guys,
    So I had applied for 3 different courses and one of them was the arts degree. I got an email today saying I can go to the Kilkenny campus for my first year. Just wondering if they put that to all of the arts aplicants? Is it to give extra spaces or cos you're not at the top of their list for the Maynooth campus? Is it an acceptance email for the course or what?

I'm totally confused about that email. I hope someone can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

nessieos wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    So I had applied for 3 different courses and one of them was the arts degree. I got an email today saying I can go to the Kilkenny campus for my first year. Just wondering if they put that to all of the arts aplicants? Is it to give extra spaces or cos you're not at the top of their list for the Maynooth campus? Is it an acceptance email for the course or what?

I'm totally confused about that email. I hope someone can help.

To be honest I have never heard of that but it could be just me! Maybe give academic advisory an email?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Are you a mature applicant? The Kilkenny campus runs modules for the adult education undergraduate programs, and some diploma courses. All of the core BA teaching (the regular arts degree) is held on the Maynooth campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nessieos

efla wrote: »
    Are you a mature applicant? The Kilkenny campus runs modules for the adult education undergraduate programs, and some diploma courses. All of the core BA teaching (the regular arts degree) is held on the Maynooth campus.

Yes I'm a mature student. I didn't realise NUIM had another campus, let alone one focusing on mature applicants. Just seemed quite bizzare

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I don't think that's totally true. Afaik they're introducing the option of doing 1st year Arts, with more limited subject options, on the Kilkenny campus this year. I spotted it in the prospectus during the year.

I don't think that's totally true. Afaik they're introducing the option of doing 1st year Arts, with more limited subject options, on the Kilkenny campus this year. I spotted it in the prospectus during the year.

Is that still MH101? I haven't taught at the Kilkenny campus for a few years so my information may be out of date. When I was there it was the adult ed BA which offered a limited number of arts modules, mostly in geography, sociology and anthropology (this was 2011).

• Advertisement

Is that still MH101? I haven't taught at the Kilkenny campus for a few years so my information may be out of date. When I was there it was the adult ed BA which offered a limited number of arts modules, mostly in geography, sociology and anthropology (this was 2011).

On the little that I know it's still MH101. Only first year is there though and a more limited range of subjects. This will be the first year of it.

I finally got to a computer and found out more:
    The Faculties of Arts, Celtic Studies & Philosophy and Social Sciences, are offering students on the Kilkenny Campus of NUI Maynooth the opportunity to complete the 1st year of their degree in Kilkenny. On completion of same students will transfer to the main Maynooth Campus to complete their studies. The Arts degree on offer (known as MH901) offers flexibility, giving you the option to choose a diverse range of subjects. You will have a number of weeks at the beginning of First Year to choose your Arts subjects.

The course code is MH901. I wonder if they're aiming to have the complete course available in Kilkenny eventually.

I finally got to a computer and found out more:

The course code is MH901. I wonder if they're aiming to have the complete course available in Kilkenny eventually.

Interesting, I wonder will it be skyped Maynooth campus material or dedicated in-house modules? The usual model for Kilkenny is to run unique modules (i.e. not parallel teaching) open only to mature students on specific B.A. streams.

To the OP - I'm just wondering, did you apply as a mature applicant to MH101, or sit an interview?

Interesting, I wonder will it be skyped Maynooth campus material or dedicated in-house modules? The usual model for Kilkenny is to run unique modules (i.e. not parallel teaching) open only to mature students on specific B.A. streams.

To the OP - I'm just wondering, did you apply as a mature applicant to MH101, or sit an interview?

I would hope in-house. Skype wouldn't be a great way to run a course imo. Maybe the same modules/lectures repeated in Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

The option to take the first year of your degree in Kilkenny has only become available to CAO applicants this year. Basically if the subjects on offer mirror your options for Maynooth Kildare you would be strategic to note Kilkenny MH901 on your list of options. Further information can be found at: www.nuim.ie/Kilkenny

The courses will mirror those on the main campus - right down to the exams!!

Main advantage: small, highly supported learning environment

May have lower points - as this is its first year

Allows the option to live at home for those within an easy commute.

Shared experiences with Arts students in Maynooth.

Subjects- Irish; English; History; Geography; Anthropology; Sociology; Economics; Philosophy; Theology and Medieval Irish and Celtic Studies.

Finally, it is my understanding that ALL lectures will be delivered by lecturers in person. Furthermore, due to the small class sizes there will be the opportunity for much more interaction and discussion.

I took my undergraduate degree on this campus as a young mature student, and would highly recommend it to anyone who would benefit from transitioning into college life in a supported learning environment. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 nessieos

I had applied as a mature student for arts and full English (114). I didn't hear anything back until the email about the Kilkenny campus. I then got an interview for the full English and have been accepted on that :-D :-D :-D

Advertisement