Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ways to keep loose tobacco fresh

Options
  • 21-06-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭

Hello, I have a kilo of freshly harvested tobacco straight from the farmer:D,
    and its lovely!!! However its going to take me a while to smoke the whole lot,
    so is there any way to keep it fresh for a few months, the guy I got it from said to put it into freezer, and take as necessary.

I already made about 200 cigs with a ciggie maker slidey thing and its only made a dent into the bag. so I need a way to keep it fresh. Thanks.
    Anybody have any other suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Have heard lemon or orange peel is good to keep a pouch of tobacco fresh, not sure about a larger supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

try vacuum packing it perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Have heard lemon or orange peel is good to keep a pouch of tobacco fresh, not sure about a larger supply.

I have done it before with apple peel any time I get pouch tobacco, and yeah it makes a difference as I live in a hot climate and a 40 gram pack dries out quick. But to do it with one kg Im afraid it might go rotten in the long run, Ive worked out that this amount will last me 4-5 months give or take a few weeks.
    snollup wrote: »
    try vacuum packing it perhaps?

good idea, do you think I can put it in a freezer to keep even fresher?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

kupus wrote: »
    good idea, do you think I can put it in a freezer to keep even fresher?

I'm not sure freezing would be great.

The closest thing I can equate this to from my own experience is coffee. Am a bit of a coffee nut and I have frozen beans before and it didn't really help them.

Edit - I'm intrigued as to where you managed to get farm grown tobacco. Was it grown in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Get alot of these sandwich bags. I think it would work well.

It must have the zip thingy...

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00rSgafMBFHUqk/Sandwich-Bags-Freezer-Bag-Storage-Bag.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

@snollup, i dont live in Ireland but in a hot climate country, which is why im afraid it will dry out very quickly. I got it from a friend of a friend that grows it and sells it to Phillip morris etc.. It is very nice sweet and smooth stuff, but I found that coming to the end of the cig it gets very strong? I may have to change the way I use the machine to spread the tobacco evenly.
    I normally smoke Marloro lights so the strength is about the same, till the end of the cig where it gets stronger.

Bubble that what the locals do, so it looks I will do the same with those freezer bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

When my dad used to smoke pipe tobbaco he used to store lettuce leaves with it to keep it fresh and moist. Normally when you buy tobacco it's at most in 50 g bags so I'd be inclined to split up your kilo and try with the lettuce leaves. Remember him trying apple slices too but think the lettuce worked better ;)

Advertisement