Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a handreared cockatiel :)

Options
  • 21-06-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey Everyone, hopefully someone can help me find a handreared cockatiel. Had one years ago but it died and i've decided to get one again, unfortunately the breeder i knew doesn't have them anymore and i've had no luck finding one so far. Any help would be much appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Hand reared or just hand tame?
    I don't know where in the country you are but there are aviaries in kilmacenogue and on the N11 outside Wicklow who could either stock them or put you in touch with a breeder.
    There are also a few parrot forums for breeders and owners. Bird owners seem under-represented here on boards.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Alv_M

Hand reared or just hand tame?
    I don't know where in the country you are but there are aviaries in kilmacenogue and on the N11 outside Wicklow who could either stock them or put you in touch with a breeder.
    There are also a few parrot forums for breeders and owners. Bird owners seem under-represented here on boards.ie!

thanks, im in cork the last bird I had I travelled to westmeath for so if I know its worth it I'll travel. The last one I had was handreared so I was kinda gonna go with that again, suppose handtame would be just as good tho. Ya they are, a few years ago there there was a higher presence of them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Bird owners seem under-represented here on boards.ie!

Indeed, but we'd love to have more! The forum can get very dog and cat heavy! Is there anything you think we could do to encourage more bird folk here?
    My apologies for pulling this off topic!

DBB wrote: »
    Indeed, but we'd love to have more! The forum can get very dog and cat heavy! Is there anything you think we could do to encourage more bird folk here?

I think its just one of those things, 2/3 years ago there was loads of websites for bird breeders and they were all over this too, now its impossible to find any..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Alv_M wrote: »
    I think its just one of those things, 2/3 years ago there was loads of websites for bird breeders and they were all over this too, now its impossible to find any..

Theres a man in Kildare doing them. I havnt got one off him but his were as tame as any iv had. Ill trz find an email or number for you. I have had Budgies, senegals, cockatiels, parakeets, and have a soft spot for the cockatiels. Only one tiel at the moment, a girl.
    Heres mine...
    2013-06-24100526_zps94bd2e7e.jpg
    2013-06-24100515_zps84c1c616.jpg

• Advertisement

If you were in dublin, i know of some right now. I dont know about cork though.

EireIceMan wrote: »
    Theres a man in Kildare doing them. I havnt got one off him but his were as tame as any iv had. Ill trz find an email or number for you. I have had Budgies, senegals, cockatiels, parakeets, and have a soft spot for the cockatiels. Only one tiel at the moment, a girl.
    Heres mine...
    2013-06-24100526_zps94bd2e7e.jpg
    2013-06-24100515_zps84c1c616.jpg

she's lovely :) ya out of all the birds out there im just mad about cockatiels. That's great if you can, much appreciated :)

if you've an email or number or something id take it. Like I said im willing to travel for the right bird :)

Alv_M wrote: »
    she's lovely :) ya out of all the birds out there im just mad about cockatiels. That's great if you can, much appreciated :)

Sent that to you. If i remember right, he had silly tame Lutino cockatiels a while back. Gorgeous looking birds

I have had Budgies, senegals, cockatiels, parakeets, and have a soft spot for the cockatiels.
    Mind if I ask what it is about Cockatiels that you prefer? Especially in comparison to the Senegals and parakeets that you've owned?
    I've no idea! I know there's a fairly active independent parrot owners form. Get the admins to swallow it? Lol

• Advertisement

I've no idea! I know there's a fairly active independent parrot owners form. Get the admins to swallow it? Lol

We have a faq section up in one of the stickies, and I notice the birds section is completely devoid of any info!
    Any bird fans like to do up an article, maybe a care sheets, and links to useful resources? It could be a group effort. Say, for instance, we start a thread that the bird folk add their thoughts to, and we could use that thread in the sticky?

We have a faq section up in one of the stickies, and I notice the birds section is completely devoid of any info!
    Any bird fans like to do up an article, maybe a care sheets, and links to useful resources? It could be a group effort. Say, for instance, we start a thread that the bird folk add their thoughts to, and we could use that thread in the sticky?

Yup that would be a great idea. Though I've no idea how to organise it with all the different bird species there are? It would also make the forum seem more bird friendly.

Yup that would be a great idea. Though I've no idea how to organise it with all the different bird species there are? It would also make the forum seem more bird friendly.

That's what I was hoping too!
    Hmmm. The variety of species will present a challenge alright.
    How's about starting off with the really popular ones? Maybe some pics of different colourings, some observations on behaviours and behavioural problems, daily care etc? I'm thinking of people who'd like to start out, or try a different species, that they could come here and at least find out some basics, and find out where the best info is to be got online.
    I'd also like for bird owners to feel free to have discussions amongst themselves, just like everyone does about dogs and cats!
    Let's have a bit of a think about it bird people! Share your thoughts, and let's get something up and running!

Sent that to you. If i remember right, he had silly tame Lutino cockatiels a while back. Gorgeous looking birds

thanks for that, got onto him, he has a few cinnamon cockatiels coming up in a few weeks so we'll see :)

Mind if I ask what it is about Cockatiels that you prefer? Especially in comparison to the Senegals and parakeets that you've owned?

Senegal absolutely lovely, but was a bit of a bully to other birds tbh.
    The cockatiels, i dont know why, perhaps because they were my first bird. Male called Freddy who died few year ago. Very friendly and although they have there moods found them less moody than a lot of birds. More forgiving for a starter too. Opinion might change as soon as i have the space for a grey or macaw:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sleepybird

Hi, can I have some of their contact number? i'm in Dublin, trying to look for a male albino to breed with my whiteface. :D thank you!!

Advertisement