Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breathing while swimming

Options
  • 21-06-2013 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

This has probably been covered in techniques etc but it's not the technique I am having problems with.

When I swim I feel like I am not getting enough oxygen. Despite having a full breath on the turn of my head. I exhale as I go through two to three strokes and inhale on the other side. My heart rate goes through the roof an I end up panting while I do the breast stroke.

Should I slow down breathe more regular intervals? I have tried what I think is the same pattern of breaths while runnin to see if I get out of breath and no issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭chancer007

Hi,

I was having the same problem

I then changed to breathing every 2 strokes, instead of the supposed correct 3 strokes

I am swimming away without any issues now!

G'Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

I'm guessing here but try slowing down the stroke itself do some catch up drills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

How fast to you exhale?
    If your heart rate is going through the roof you are either swimming too fast or holding your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Mayboy

Hi,

Do you exhale the breath evenly? I found that by really focussing on my arm reach and trying to get that smooth and long I 'tied' my exhale to that if this makes sense? THe longer the 'reach' the slower the exhale. When I reached the three strokes i turned to take a breath I was empty of air and ready to take a new breath. Also remember to pull in a nice deep breath into your tummy not chest. The best thing I could recommend is also to slow it down but I'm not expert - still learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

chancer007 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was having the same problem

I then changed to breathing every 2 strokes, instead of the supposed correct 3 strokes

I am swimming away without any issues now!

G'Luck

Just watch out for RSI in your neck as you increase your swim distances, or change sides every length for balance.

That is the main reason for the "supposed correct" 3 strokes. muscular balance and stability.

Once you get the hang of it, 5 isn't generally a big problem at 75% exertion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement