Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop running a bit hot.

Options
  • 21-06-2013 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Make and Model:
    Toshiba P855-30G

Is it in warranty?
    Yes, have a month or so left.

Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

CPU, RAM, GPU:
    CPU: Intel Core I5-2450M 2.5GHz
    RAM: 8 GB
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 630M

Software: What software are your running when you have the error? What Anti-virus/Firewall/Internet Security software is your system running?
    Problem occurs when just running steam and chrome (and the other default startup programs) and Avast free. Nothing that demanding.

I use speedfan to monitor the temperature and I am a bit concerned: the laptop idles at 40~45 degrees!
    I don't think I've managed to drop it under 40, my other laptop would never go above 40 even with a game running (Saints row or GTA).

I'm wondering what's going on ? It's been like that since the start so it can't be a buildup of dust.
    Would this be enough to bring it into a warranty centre?

I keep it on a "stand" to lift it up a bit.
    I bought the laptop so I could play a few games but thats not really possible since it starts to heat up enough to burn skin (Yes, I know that by experience).

NXIJnXe.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

not really, laptops do heat up. As they don't normally have well placed fans or decent heat sinks. It's also why they say never to have them directly on your lap.

You could try a tray with fans to try and keep it cool.

Although 40 degrees isn't actually too worrisome for a computer http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/laptopstabletpcs/f/how-to-check-laptop-temperature.htm 50' C is comfortable temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Vince086

I would expect that with the small heatsink but I was still concerned. One of the huge downsides to the new "slim" laptop designs that are hitting the shelves is that they have great power but no way to get rid of the heat.
    Thanks for the link. Reassuring to know that the high temperature is actually normal.
    I always assumed it was around 30, not 50.
    Yeah got one off ebay with two small fans. Never took those "Can cause burns" warnings seriously before, turns out there is truth in them!

Advertisement