Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Phone not working here in Dublin

Options
  • 21-06-2013 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all

Brought a BT phone back with me from the UK a few weeks ago, tried to hook it up but it is showing "no line" on the screen. Had a look on here for advice from previous threads and the suggestion was to buy a BT to RJ11 adapter which I bought this morning, however it is still showing "no line"

Any advice on this would be appreciated

Pete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Plug in a KNOWN WORKING PHONE to where you are trying to plug the BT phone in to.
    Make sure that the RJ11 to BT adaptor also has a ringing capacitor fitted.
    In RJ11 (Ireland/US and a lot of the rest of the world) the line is on the center 2 pins.
    In BT Land the line is on the outer 2 of the 4 pins.
    Also in BT Land the incoming ringing works because there is a Ringing Capacitor of 1.8micro farads or so built in to the master socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kaner69

thanks for your reply
    already had a phone in and working, this one broke hence the change, RJ11 adapter has the capacitor in it (made sure of this when I got it yesterday) however it still won't work so not sure what to do

Was it working when you were in the UK?

Yes all was fine in UK, both phones were paired with the units

Oh - so they are DECT phones?
    They may need to be paired up again.
    Also it's worth trying to plug in an Irish RJ11 lead into them.
    They could been RJ11 (Irish) type by default and in UK were using crossover leads.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for your help, I'll try that tomorrow when I get home and hopefully they will work

A lot of the early BT DECT Phones were Siemens but branded BT so it's possible that they would work straight off with an RJ11 to RJ11 lead.
    Give it a try anyway and let me know.

Will do thanks again

Had a look at the user guide this morning and there does not seem to be any mention of pairing the phones. Also tried the RJ11 lead I had with the old phone but still getting "no line" on the main display. Not sure whether it makes a difference or not but the phone line is going through the UPC modem so I am at a loss as to what to do next

Found the problem and got it sorted, the lead that was in the box only had 2 pins terminated, so I found another one and phones are now working, thanks for your help Xantia

• Advertisement

Great.
    I should have mentioned that -
    The original BT plug system needed 4 wires.
    Outer 2 for A & B legs
    one for the bell ringing from the capacitor in the socket and the last one for an earth in the old days of earth recall.

Advertisement