Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football tips for a beginner

Options
  • 21-06-2013 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Started playing just over a year ago as a total beginner (Scottish born, but Mayo by the grace of God!:)) after following the game for many years.

Always been a half-decent sportsman and made some good progress so far, having started every game this season and playing well at points, so in one sense it has been going well, but for every thing you improve at you quickly find yourself wanting to do more and more and that's where a wee bit of frustration comes into it for me, by hitting a brick wall every so often and stuttering until I can make the next breakthrough.

Basically I'm looking for any bit of advice I can get to help me improve my game, get that bit of edge over my opponents and increase my knowledge of the sport because I am still very far from where I want to be as a player.

The main thing I want to know is about the runs I should be making as a full forward (and occasionally left corner forward), where I have been playing this year. I far prefer going in to the half forward line, but that's where I'm being played and I'm just happy to be getting a start and playing plenty football just now.

Anyway, I find up there that I am running about like a headless chicken half the time. So...

Where do you target your runs as a full forward? Where should I be leaving space? What sort of balls should I be calling for from the midfield and the half forwards? Into the space ahead of me, deep balls under the posts, out to the corners, etc?

Whenever I get the ball I always feel that I can offer something but when I don't have it I really feel I am letting the rest of the lads down with my play.

Many thanks for any help or advice that anyone can offer!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Started playing just over a year ago as a total beginner (Scottish born, but Mayo by the grace of God!:)) after following the game for many years.

Always been a half-decent sportsman and made some good progress so far, having started every game this season and playing well at points, so in one sense it has been going well, but for every thing you improve at you quickly find yourself wanting to do more and more and that's where a wee bit of frustration comes into it for me, by hitting a brick wall every so often and stuttering until I can make the next breakthrough.

Basically I'm looking for any bit of advice I can get to help me improve my game, get that bit of edge over my opponents and increase my knowledge of the sport because I am still very far from where I want to be as a player.

The main thing I want to know is about the runs I should be making as a full forward (and occasionally left corner forward), where I have been playing this year. I far prefer going in to the half forward line, but that's where I'm being played and I'm just happy to be getting a start and playing plenty football just now.

Anyway, I find up there that I am running about like a headless chicken half the time. So...

Where do you target your runs as a full forward? Where should I be leaving space? What sort of balls should I be calling for from the midfield and the half forwards? Into the space ahead of me, deep balls under the posts, out to the corners, etc?

Whenever I get the ball I always feel that I can offer something but when I don't have it I really feel I am letting the rest of the lads down with my play.

Many thanks for any help or advice that anyone can offer!

Well, it really depends on alot of different variables but mostly on the type of game your team plays. Most of the time with good teams it will be worked out beforehand what system your going to play. The style of football your team plays impacts largely on the full forward position.

What areas do you see as your strengths, are you physically strong & good in the air, in this instance & high ball into the box could suit you. Are you quick & skillful on the ball, coming deep & linking the play might suit you better in this instance. Are you clinical in front of goal or better at bringing other players into play. Lots of different questions for you to ask yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Keith Higgins Left Boot

Cheers for getting back to me. We're not really a strong club, and a lot of stuff is done on the hoof so tactical preparation is minimal. It's really just down to you and your instincts, which is where I run into trouble not having had the base of knowledge and reflex reactions to certain passages of play that Irish born players will have.

I'm six foot two so can handle high balls (used to be a keeper in soccer) but I'm not particularly strong so often find a big huer of a full back will just **** me out of it regardless of how well I can get a hold of the ball. I'm much better at getting the ball into hands and linking the play - my hand passing and speed aren't too bad so I usually feel I can offer something that way.

I take it then that I should be looking to come deep for the ball as a first option? The only difficulty is, purely out of the fact that we aren't that strong a side, that no matter where and when you call for a ball about half of them will be coming in from a big punt from a team-mate who is doing well even to give you that!

Thanks lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Simplest advice is just stay near the square because there's nothing worse than a full forward who drifts with the ball outfield and leaves nothing to aim at. When the ball reaches the half way line and there is some space then just make a burst and hope your man spots the pass. Not enough full forwards are using the advantage they have received regarding the new square ball rules where you can enter the square after the ball has been kicked. Plenty of efforts near the 45 will drop under the bar and if you can get on the end of them you'll be in for an easy goal or two. That's about it really. Just remember there's no sense in you being out near the 45 unless you're unreal at kicking from distance in which case ya shouldn't be in full forward anyway unless you're an absolute beasht.

jive wrote: »
    Simplest advice is just stay near the square because there's nothing worse than a full forward who drifts with the ball outfield and leaves nothing to aim at. When the ball reaches the half way line and there is some space then just make a burst and hope your man spots the pass. Not enough full forwards are using the advantage they have received regarding the new square ball rules where you can enter the square after the ball has been kicked. Plenty of efforts near the 45 will drop under the bar and if you can get on the end of them you'll be in for an easy goal or two. That's about it really. Just remember there's no sense in you being out near the 45 unless you're unreal at kicking from distance in which case ya shouldn't be in full forward anyway unless you're an absolute beasht.

Haha, a beast I am not!:D

Cheers lad. Good advice. I've picked up a few scraps there this season that have turned into goals after being recycled with a pass or two so can see the merit in that.

Just feels like there is nothing going for you at full forward when you are chasing ball all day and picking up very little, and while I know there is no miracle cure for it I'm sure there must be habits I can add to my game here and there that will turn the scraps into decent balls and turn the decent balls into clear opportunities.

To be honest I'd be far better as a half forward. I played centre half forward last night in a heavy defeat as basically a third midfielder and felt I had a good game apart from the result as my strengths are far more suited to that but I know that the next game I'll be going in at full so I'm just trying to give it a solid effort of watching/reading as much as I can about the role in my spare time (work:D).

Still loving every minute of it though. Ditching soccer was the best decision I ever made!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Cheers for getting back to me. We're not really a strong club, and a lot of stuff is done on the hoof so tactical preparation is minimal. It's really just down to you and your instincts, which is where I run into trouble not having had the base of knowledge and reflex reactions to certain passages of play that Irish born players will have.

I'm six foot two so can handle high balls (used to be a keeper in soccer) but I'm not particularly strong so often find a big huer of a full back will just **** me out of it regardless of how well I can get a hold of the ball. I'm much better at getting the ball into hands and linking the play - my hand passing and speed aren't too bad so I usually feel I can offer something that way.

I take it then that I should be looking to come deep for the ball as a first option? The only difficulty is, purely out of the fact that we aren't that strong a side, that no matter where and when you call for a ball about half of them will be coming in from a big punt from a team-mate who is doing well even to give you that!

Thanks lad.

Think more cynically. Give that number 3 a nudge before the ball is coming into you to give yourself an extra couple of seconds before he can hit you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The more you play the more you'll get a sense of how you'll develop your game. Try talking to your team mates. You'll develop your own style eventually.

My advice would be to tell them to play diagonal balls into the corners, and advise you to hang off the fullback, with a view to playing a 1-2 with one of your team-mates playing corner forward, releasing them for a point/goalscoring chance and possibly you running into the small square to lap up anything the keeper saves, although there are an infinite amount of permutations in the game.

Just enjoy the game, and keep on talking to your team-mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Well op, my advice would be to stand about 5 yards either side of goals on the 14 yard line. Your full back should be marking nice and tight, when midfielder / half forward breaks there tackle that's when u should be makin a dash immediately and shout for the ball , the easiest way to get away from your marker is, just before your burst, grab his arm/elbow and tug him back slightly and use that to give yourself a lift off... Sneaky but always works ...
    Always be movin never stand even if its going from one corner to the other , this creates the space for u or te other inside forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Practice soloing while scanning field with your head up That is a massive boost Do keepy uppys with the oneills to make soloing automatic Hit the weights to compete for 50/50s with fullback N you need thousands of reps of catching n score taking Your eagerness to improve is good to hear

Thanks for the replies. Some good tips to get my teeth into there anyway.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Practice soloing while scanning field with your head up That is a massive boost Do keepy uppys with the oneills to make soloing automatic Hit the weights to compete for 50/50s with fullback N you need thousands of reps of catching n score taking Your eagerness to improve is good to hear

And when you are happy you have mastered these skills, give James Horan a call. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement