Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patrick Nulty To Resign From Labour

Options
  • 21-06-2013 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Watched the end of vincent brown show earlier online- at the end of the show reading tomorrows newspapers segment its one of the papers tomorrow patrick nulty is to resign altogether from the labour party-if its true I say fair play to patrick for being a man of principle sticking by the values labour claim to represent in leaving the party.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Am Chile wrote: »
    Watched the end of vincent brown show earlier online- at the end of the show reading tomorrows newspapers segment its one of the papers tomorrow patrick nulty is to resign altogether from the labour party-if its true I say fair play to patrick for being a man of principle sticking by the values labour claim to represent in leaving the party.

Wait a minute, didn't this guy run for Labour about two years ago, gathered the votes of Dublin West people in a by-election and said he was going to be a Labour TD. Within a very short time he broke that election promise and voted against Labour and it has taken him over a year to stand up and deal with the consequences and actually resign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Godge wrote: »
    Wait a minute, didn't this guy run for Labour about two years ago, gathered the votes of Dublin West people in a by-election and said he was going to be a Labour TD. Within a very short time he broke that election promise and voted against Labour and it has taken him over a year to stand up and deal with the consequences and actually resign?

Since that by election labour have gone back on some pre election commitments they gave to voters- the vote labour/protest child benefit pledge they gave which they broke in the last budget- around the time of that by election I dont think patrick nulty could of forseen that pre election pledge being broken- I dont know his exact reasons for resigning from the labour party as I await to see a statement from patrick- I suspect he feels labour are letting down a lot of their voters.

LabourPosterChildBenefit1_zps9ad68d64.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

One can only presume that he will have the courage of his convictions and resign his Dail seat as well, since it was the Labour Party who backed his election in the first place, he can run in the subsequent bye election as an independent.
    Oh wait a minute, the courage of his convictions hardly extends to that level of honesty!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whilst I'd lively not agree with his political beliefs, I would give praise to one taking a difficult step of leaving his party for a belief in the correctness of his convictions and that this better serves his constituents in the long term. It is akin to Burke's stand on parliamentary independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I find it really hard to believe that someone with a modicum of cop on could run in that by-election and not know there was a harsh budget coming two months later. To take the money and effort from a party and then vote against them in that inevitable Budget isn't very honest. Whether he leaves Labour or not (he has) is immaterial, he was not going to be the Labour candidate for anything for a very long time after what has happened.

If he had integrity and honesty he'd not have run on the Labour ticket in that by-election.

Edit: To add with respect to integrity and honesty, look at Tommy Broughan. He ran under Labour but this was before there was a coalition. When the coalition was being voted for he publicly opposed it. He lost the whip due to refusing to vote for legislation he disagreed with. This is a case of an honest candidate sticking by their principles. Nulty joined a Labour Parliamentary Party already in coalition with Fine Gael, he must have been incredibly naive about what the next Budget was going to be like if he wasn't acting dishonestly here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

One can only presume that he will have the courage of his convictions and resign his Dail seat as well, since it was the Labour Party who backed his election in the first place, he can run in the subsequent bye election as an independent.
    Oh wait a minute, the courage of his convictions hardly extends to that level of honesty!

He can't affect the Dail at all if he resigns his seat, least if he stays there he has a platform from which he can voice his opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

if he stays there he has a platform from which he can voice his opinions.

A platform which he now proposes to use to attack the party and government which the people elected him to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭golfball37

So you'd give up your job if your employer acted dishonestly?

Thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Its an eye go the nexg election. Labour will be wiped out. FF will be in the top position again and if elected as independent he could be back in government. Personally I think he could have done more by speaking out while in government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

golfball37 wrote: »

Thought so.

We the people of Dublin West elected him and we are his employer. We did not act dishonestly in electing him.

In contrast he, as our employee (representative) in the Dail acted dishonestly.

He is also unique in that he was elected at a bye-election i.e. a one-seat constituency. Anyone who is elected at a general election could argue that there is no point resigning and running in the bye-election because the multi-seat scenario that elected them is not available. This excuse is not available to Nulty and he should do the decent thing and resign and put himself forward in a bye-election. If he gets elected, then, well fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

nesf wrote: »
    I find it really hard to believe that someone with a modicum of cop on could run in that by-election and not know there was a harsh budget coming two months later. To take the money and effort from a party and then vote against them in that inevitable Budget isn't very honest. Whether he leaves Labour or not (he has) is immaterial, he was not going to be the Labour candidate for anything for a very long time after what has happened.

If he had integrity and honesty he'd not have run on the Labour ticket in that by-election.

To be fair to Nulty, the Labour leadership had more or less said they would cut off their own balls before they'd cut Child Benefit. Turns out they did both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

"If he gets elected, then, well fair play to him."

If the by-election was right now, he almost certainly would be.

"If he gets elected, then, well fair play to him."

If the by-election was right now, he almost certainly would be.

I don’t think so. I think people would see passed the tactical maneuver to distance himself from his party because they have dived in popularity

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

Another case of a politician acting in his own self interest and to hell with everyone else.
    He obviously is looking at Dublin West - 4 seater in the next GE and sees his best chance of re-election outside the Labour Party.

He can't affect the Dail at all if he resigns his seat, least if he stays there he has a platform from which he can voice his opinions.

You mean he would lose his big salary and unvouched expenses!
    This guy is thinking of nothing other than his own skin, hoping he can keep his snout in the trough by running as independent next time out as he knows that Labour will be wiped out!

golfball37 wrote: »

Thought so.

I'm self employed.:)
    This guy knew exactly what Labour in Government were like before he let them pay for his election.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Godge wrote: »

This is why the Whip System is a disgrace, the idea that a TD voting against his party so that he can vote in the interest of the people who elected him being a bad thing is stupidity of the highest order.

I hope he leaves the labour party and stays in the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Official statement from patrick nulty on his choice to resign from the labour party.

Dublin West TD Patrick Nulty has today announced that he has formally resigned as a member of the Labour Party.

Speaking following his decision Deputy Nulty said:

“I have taken the decision to resign my membership of the Labour Party. This was difficult because I have been a member of the party for over a decade. However, it was necessary.”

“I no longer believe that membership of the party is any assistance in advancing the political ideas which form the cornerstone of my value system. These ideas are social justice, equality and the creation of full employment with quality work in our society.”

“I still have great regard for the many decent, hardworking Labour members, supporters and public representatives who share my thirst for a better Ireland. However, the leadership of the party and in particular the cabinet ministers who have sacrificed core social democratic demands for their own personal political ambitions, have brought the entire political system into disrepute.”

“Trust in our political system with citizens has been broken. This means there is a need for new ideas and social movements that are accountable to citizens not powerful interests.”

“The most recent example of the Government hitting the most vulnerable hardest is the announcement that children with special education needs will not receive the resource teaching hours they require next September.”

“The Government has imposed savage cuts to housing adaption grants specifically provided to people with disabilities who need alterations to their home. We have personal insolvency guidelines published which seek to micro manage the personal finances of hard pressed families and we have seen cuts to Child Benefit which Labour had sworn to protect.”

“These are not the actions of a party that is acting in the interests of working people and a just economic recovery. That is why I have resigned. I am optimistic about the future of our country and I will continue campaigning for the radical change that is needed.”

http://www.patricknulty.ie/?p=1818

Am Chile wrote: »
    Official statement from patrick nulty on his choice to resign from the labour party.

They knew there wasq going to be hard budgets and cuts going into government. What has changed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Nothing strange for a politician, he is well aware that Labour will take the minority slap from the voters next election and his only hope to continue on the gravey train is that the few who dont switch back to FF give an independent vote,

He deserves nothing as he has done nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Seaneh wrote: »
    This is why the Whip System is a disgrace, the idea that a TD voting against his party so that he can vote in the interest of the people who elected him being a bad thing is stupidity of the highest order.

I hope he leaves the labour party and stays in the house!

If he is a man of principle he would resign his seat. As many have posted here he was elected on a Labour ticket and should win his seat on his own agenda in a by-election. Put his belief to the test, then he can talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    If he is a man of principle he would resign his seat. As many have posted here he was elected on a Labour ticket and should win his seat on his own agenda in a by-election. Put his belief to the test, then he can talk.

The truth is that he probably stands a better chance of winning as an independent candidate than he does as a Labour candidate. It would be another good barometer of where public opinion lies after Meath East. Can't believe he is only 30 by the way. I predict a good few of these resignations over the next while due to the abortion bill and the budget cuts to come. We will end up with some amount of independent TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

COYW wrote: »
    The truth is that he probably stands a better chance of winning as an independent candidate than he does as a Labour candidate. It would be another good barometer of where public opinion lies after Meath East. Can't believe he is only 30 by the way. I predict a good few of these resignations over the next while due to the abortion bill and the budget cuts to come. We will end up with some amount of independent TDs.

Yes indeed you are probably right. There are going to be a lot of sore backsides then for all those sitting on the fence, waiting to see which way the wind will be blowing. These people are elected to do a job and show how yellow they are when it comes to a hard decision that might upset their voters, so they bail.

Hes thirty ??? thats a bigger shock. I was thinking more in the mid forties

Advertisement