Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo aspect for online printing

Options
  • 20-06-2013 11:57pm

Im looking to print out a batch of photos to put into a photo album. The photos are from a digital camera and Im a little confused as to what size I should print them. I know usually for digital cameras you should print them out in 6x4.5, but when I checked my photos some have dimensions of 1920x1080 and some 4:3. The 4:3 should be ok at 6x4.5, but the 1920x1080, what size should they be printed at? It would be easier if they were all the same size for when they go into the photo album.

Im uploading them online to have them printed, do they automatically fit them to the paper? If so, which size paper should I choose to minimize cropping and to ensue trhey fit? Unfortunatly I probably won't have the time to crop them myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

The two main dimensions for photo albums are 4x6 and 5x7 there's no 4.5x6. 4x6 is the standard so go with that. Most photo editing software can give you a rectangular crop to that dimension and then you can crop the photo to your own taste. Also those photos you say are 1920x 1080 they mightn't turn out the best as the standard for printing photos is 300 pixels per inch so it woUlf appear slightly pixelated when printed as a 4x6 or larger.

There are photo albums you can now buy in 4.5x6 as this is the size most digital cameras work at. I would prefer to print in that size so I won't have to do any cropping on the standard 4:3 photos. I'm just unsure of what size to print the 1920x1080 to ensure they aernt cropped or cropped as little as possible by the online printing companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

6*4.5 is NOT what most digital cameras work at

Most Digital SLR cameras have and aspect ratio of 3:2, so image sizes out of the camera would be

6*4, 7.5*5,9*6,12*8 etc

1920*1080 is a video resolution, not a camera resolution persay

BUT

printing 6*4 from it should be OK if the images are sharp etc as 1920 @ 300PPI gives you 6.4 inches as a print

Advertisement