Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Windows Tablet???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Surface RT surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Dell XPS 10 with detachable keyboard is currently 479 euros. It's a great little machine and will be even better when W8.1 comes out with Outlook in tow

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

I've a 64GB Surface that I got on Ebay from a supplier in the UK. It came with the touch keyboard and I think cost about £380stg. I since for the type keyboard and while it adds a couple of mils to the thickness it's weight is hardly noticeable.

I really like the surface. It's possibly one of the best built devices I've ever had and is genuinely a useful device - once you accept its limitations (excluding that of RT).

The main one being, you can't sit it on your lap to type... It needs a table top.

As a work tool, it's perfect. I use it when travelling now as my primary device. Its media features are not bad at all.

USB functionality is decent - works with my unified Logitech controller so I can use a normal mouse and keyboard with it hooked up to a display (mini DVI). Also usb hard drives and memory drives work well too. I laos have a 64 gb mini sd card installed for extra strorage - music and movies.

Access to work systems is taken care of by Citrix.

All in all, as a super-portable work device it's great.

But I have an iPad at home for personal fun stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

If you can hold off a few months then you'll have some more choices in terms of the next gen surface rt (with a much faster Qualcomm chip this time) or if you want a "full" win8 tablet that runs an Intel chip then the haswell architecture will be out at the end of the summer promising much better battery life.
    still tho I think there'll be some massive bargains to be had with the excellent surface rt in the next 2 months as Microsoft are getting crazy aggressive with prices and deals. Irish teachers will be able to get them shortly for 150 euro ex vat for example

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Irish teachers will be able to get them shortly for 150 euro ex vat for example
    I think that will include students as well so OP may want to hold off and then try and get one at that price through the college.

More details on the bargain alerts forum: here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Iainkw4x

The surface does look good, has anyone tried the Asus ViVoTab Smart either?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've been using the Surface RT for the last year in College, the battery life is awesome and as stated the USB port is great.

I'd hook up the real keyboard and mouse dongle when at home for doing office docs.

I was a computing student so needed a little more power out of the device., instead I set up a remote desktop connection which worked perfectly.

As they say though, I'd wait to see if your college can do the discounted version.

Advertisement