Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is hid light colour from ballast or bulbs?

Options
  • 20-06-2013 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi

I'm just after buying a 2010 volvo s40 d5 in scotland and i was looking to change the colour of the dip beam in headlights. the car has hid projector lights but the colour is very yellow so i was wondering if i just got a 8000k hid bulb and fitted it would it change the colour or is it defined from the ballast?

any info would be great

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The colour is determined by the bulb. An 8000k bulb will make your headlights look blue and will give you a lot less light.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 skinnylenny

what colour would u recommend? I want something with a hint of blue but not to affect the light output by much? Maybe 6000k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

what colour would u recommend? I want something with a hint of blue but not to affect the light output by much? Maybe 6000k

6k is indeed a good compromise, 8k looks cheap.

Honestly, they're headlights - why would you want to weaken them at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

I have 5k's in my car and they're totally white. My missus has 6k and they're a tad blue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think mine are 4.5k from factory and they just have a fresh white light.

mickdw wrote: »
    I think mine are 4.5k from factory and they just have a fresh white light.
    AFAIK 4300k provide the most light, so that sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

hid-newcolorchartwithinfo.jpg

I used to run 6000k HID's myself, didn't want stupidly blue blue, it was mostly white. Found the light output was fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭pcardin

AFAIK it depends on both - bulbs and balasts. 6000k bulbs with 35W balasts will have slightly more blue in them than 6000k bulbs with 55W. 4300k is the best imo, then 6000k. Anything over 6000k is chav ride tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The colour is entirely dependent on the chemical content of the actual bulbs. The ballast has absolutely no bearing on the output colour.

The colour of the output light is a mix of the emission lines from the metal vapours in the spark that goes through the bulb. Different colour outputs are made by having a different mix of the metals. The bulbs take a short time to completely evaporate the metals in the bulb, and that is why there's usually a short delay in the switch on of the bulb, and also why the colour of the output light changes from switch-on to full brightness. You can often see the tiny drop of metals in cold bulbs if you look carefully.

4300k through 5000k are the best matches for night-time adapted vision and is why OEM lights are in this colour range. Bluer than this and our eyes are less able to use the light output as more of the light is in the deep blue and violet and we just can't see this that well. 8000K bulbs are too blue to be useful as headlights. 6000K bulbs will usually give the best balance for someone looking to change the colour of the bulb, without affecting the ability to see at night.

Don't forget that as one gets older, the eye starts to scatter very blue light more than a younger person's eyes, and this is one cause of glare for other drivers - it's pretty antisocial to deliberately make it harder for other people to drive..

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    I used to run 6000k HID's myself, didn't want stupidly blue blue, it was mostly white. Found the light output was fantastic

Dug out some pics, you can see the tinge of blue but nothing on the scale of the Sei, which has 12000k HID's in the first pic (completely useless in the dark!) and 3500k in the second

189302_198709923481797_1635968_n.jpg
    198640_198709860148470_5885587_n.jpg

Image00232.jpg
    20653_104239456262178_3008484_n.jpg

So my advice is no more than 6000k, no less than 4300k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The 3000-3500s make good foglamps (if you want low-glare visibility with correctly aimed and well-designed cutoffs), same colour as the low pressure sodium streetlamps.

Popoutman wrote: »
    The 3000-3500s make good foglamps (if you want low-glare visibility with correctly aimed and well-designed cutoffs), same colour as the low pressure sodium streetlamps.

Oh I know ;) but I'm the kind of c*nt that uses 3000k bulbs as full beams, I want to see where I'm going and what's about to run out of the ditch on a narrow country road! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 skinnylenny

thanks for all the info folks think i'll be looking to get the 6000k. does anyone know the best place to buy online? will be looking for good quality bulbs

Advertisement