Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query regarding switching to SKY

Options
  • 20-06-2013 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

I am currently with Magnet (TV+Phone+Broadband)and would like to switch to Sky. Have a few doubts to clear before switching.

1. Is the sky BB connection Fiber optic or on ADSL?
    2. Do installing a sky dish is required?
    3. Would I get UK freeview channels on Astra 28E by tuning the SKY box?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

net4hack wrote: »
    I am currently with Magnet (TV+Phone+Broadband)and would like to switch to Sky. Have a few doubts to clear before switching.

1. Is the sky BB connection Fiber optic or on ADSL?
    2. Do installing a sky dish is required?
    3. Would I get UK freeview channels on Astra 28E by tuning the SKY box?

For Sky Broadband it's dsl. Sky aren't doing Fibre yet, there's two different types of fibre broadband. FTTH is fibre to the home, FTTC is fibre to the cabinet or the node. You are most likely to get FTTC if you can get any type of fibre power broadband, but you won't get that unfortunately. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85037008

For Sky TV you need a sky dish.

You can tune the Sky box in for the UK channels under 'Services' > 'Other Channels'. See this thread for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭net4hack

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Mr. G wrote: »
    For Sky Broadband it's dsl. Sky aren't doing Fibre yet, there's two different types of fibre broadband. FTTH is fibre to the home, FTTC is fibre to the cabinet or the node. You are most likely to get FTTC if you can get any type of fibre power broadband, but you won't get that unfortunately. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85037008

For Sky TV you need a sky dish.

You can tune the Sky box in for the UK channels under 'Services' > 'Other Channels'. See this thread for more info.

Sky are around looking to see if I will switch from UPC

After the sky contract do I keep the disk and the receivers of just the disk (if I cancel)

Also, don't have a phone line to the house, will they supply as part of activation?

I know, sjould have asked them!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

@gabbo is coming - what are sky offering you if you don't mind me asking?

I would have though you get to keep with sky but better to ask before you sign up to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

@gabbo is coming - what are sky offering you if you don't mind me asking?

I would have though you get to keep with sky but better to ask before you sign up to be sure

I'll be on 60 pm with Upc after price increases for 20mb bb , most basic tv an one extra room

They'll do same for 62 pm

However they were saying you an always switch to freesat after

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

After the sky contract do I keep the disk and the receivers of just the disk (if I cancel)

Also, don't have a phone line to the house, will they supply as part of activation?

This is something you probably need to ask sky. When your out of your contract as far as I know you get to keep the box and dish. Terms and conditions should have all this:

http://www.sky.com/ireland/terms-conditions/

Sky wont install a phone line though, they will only switch it to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'll have to sign to another provide for 12 months to get a line fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Yes you get to keep the dish and box once your subscription is up,

Advertisement