Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA or Work Experience??

Options
  • 20-06-2013 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi everybody,

I am currently thinking of doing the MA Television and Radio Production course at IADT next year, but would I be better off using the time and money doing an internship somewhere to gain experience?
    I would like to get into the production side of things, preferably in sound as I have my BA in Music Technology, but the course is about 7000euro, so I'm hoping people can give me some much needed advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Do you mean production in a technical sense - working the sound desk and such? Or production in a bring everything together and create a programme sense?

If it's the sound production, or being a sound recordist for film/tv, I'd say you'd know as much, if not more, than you'd learn on that course already - assuming your course was practical.

You'll make contacts through it, meet people working on producing things, and can work with them, but if you know what you want to do already, there's no reason you couldn't reach out to a radio station, or a production company, and start building practical experience - it would depend what you want to get out of the course really.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Sgm

Do you mean production in a technical sense - working the sound desk and such? Or production in a bring everything together and create a programme sense?

If it's the sound production, or being a sound recordist for film/tv, I'd say you'd know as much, if not more, than you'd learn on that course already - assuming your course was practical.

You'll make contacts through it, meet people working on producing things, and can work with them, but if you know what you want to do already, there's no reason you couldn't reach out to a radio station, or a production company, and start building practical experience - it would depend what you want to get out of the course really.

Im not really sure tbh, I think I would like to the process of bringing everything together. The course I did was really bad and I didnt learn a lot at all from it so I definitely don't think I'd be ready to start working in the industry with what I know. What i'd like to get from the course is a good solid understanding of the whole process of production as I still really dont know how things work in the process of making a production. Would I learn all this anyway from an internship?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

In an internship you might end up just getting to watch others do the work, but in college you'd get to try everything - if you aren't sure what to do yet, it might serve you well to do a course and have a go at everything, then you can decide if it's definitely for you.

That's not to say an internship won't be useful, but there's always the chance you'd end up printing things and making coffee all day instead of getting real experience.

Advertisement