Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Ireland's position on Nature 2012 Publishing Index

Registered Users Posts: 550 lockman

Saw this reported on the journal.ie. Ireland has scored a very respectable 20th place in the Nature 2012 publishing index.

From the journal.ie:

http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-science-research-960183-Jun2013/

IRELAND HAS BEEN called a ‘rising star’ in the world of science research.

Nature Magazine’s publishing index 2012, which takes a global look at the world of science publishing, gave Ireland a special mention as one of five ‘Up and Coming’ destinations for high level research. The decision was based on the quality and quantity of scientific research being carried out in the country’s research institutes.

The Nature report can be found here (with rankings table on page 44):

http://www.natureasia.com/en/publishing-index/global/supplement2012

Comments

• lockman wrote: »
    IRELAND HAS BEEN called a ‘rising star’ in the world of science research.
    Thanks for this positive news.

• Well the SFI has welcomed this news by pretty much abandoning all basic research in Ireland. If you can't sell it then forget about it is the current funding policy.

• This is nice to see. It's a shame to see the Irish funding bodies moving away from basic research but for a country our size, we've done very well for ourselves.

• Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Well the SFI has welcomed this news by pretty much abandoning all basic research in Ireland. If you can't sell it then forget about it is the current funding policy.

I wonder is Ireland living off past funding glories or can this research position be maintained with targeted funding of commercial research?

• I think this is a good argument for why basic research is important:

• Advertisement

• I absolutely loved the quote of Sarkozy in support of fundamental science. Utterly spot on. Seems pretty much everywhere else is going in the under direction
    aside from the EU's ERC funding etc.
    "you can't build a lightbulb by successive improvements to the candle".

Advertisement