Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opens

Options
  • 20-06-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi folks, so with the summer here a lot of clubs are having their Open Tournaments in the next few weeks or have had them already. Anybody played/planning to play any Opens this summer? How did it go? I'm signed up to play in men's singles here locally in a couple of weeks only D grade but hoping that playing some more competitive tennis might help my game come along. I'll also be playing the Open in my own club next month where I got knocked out in the first round last year. :rolleyes:

Anyway I'll post back with how I get on after my first match ( hopefully not last) once its finished.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Played in the Templeogue open a week or 2 ago, didnt do too well in it unfortunately, it was first singles match since coming back from my knee injury, Anyway Glasnevin and Castleknock coming up next month. As far as I can see from the Entry forms in the clubhouse there seems to be an Open on every week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ethan Edwards

Phew I was starting to think my first thread on boards was going to sink without trace.

It does seem that there are plenty of Opens to play in at this time of year but not too many local (by local I mean less then 30 mins in the car) to me. Looking forward to playing the nearest ones over the summer tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

I see you're from Tramore, are you playing St.Anne's Open next week?

woopah92 wrote: »
    I see you're from Tramore, are you playing St.Anne's Open next week?

Hi woopah, yeah I'm playing St. Anne's Open next week. Hope I'm not on to early Sunday I'm going to see Madness in Waterford on Saturday night.

Phew I was starting to think my first thread on boards was going to sink without trace.

It does seem that there are plenty of Opens to play in at this time of year but not too many local (by local I mean less then 30 mins in the car) to me. Looking forward to playing the nearest ones over the summer tho.

Tennis Ireland have a list of all Opens and when they are on on the website, Just in case you havent seen it yet.

http://www.tennisireland.ie/calendar/tournaments/senior_calendar

• Advertisement

So played in the St. Anne's Tennis Club open last night where I got soundly beaten in the first round. I didn't play well but I'm fairly sure that even if I had played well I wouldn't have had enough to beat my opponent he just seemed to get to everything. Best of luck to him for the rest of the week.

The whole purpose playing this open and any others I play this year was to get used to playing competitive matches and sets. I enjoyed the match despite the result and I am looking forward to the Tramore Open in a few weeks and hope to get plenty of practice in between now and then.

The one down point for me was that everything was running late I was told 30 mins when I checked in but it ended up being hour late by the time we got on court. This wouldn't be a huge problem ordinarily but the match was due on court at 9.15 pm and didn't get out till nearly 10.15 pm which is just a little late for me on a Sunday night. I know that there was a reason for this outside the control of St Anne's and would like to say that everything else was great.

So played in the St. Anne's Tennis Club open last night where I got soundly beaten in the first round. I didn't play well but I'm fairly sure that even if I had played well I wouldn't have had enough to beat my opponent he just seemed to get to everything. Best of luck to him for the rest of the week.

The whole purpose playing this open and any others I play this year was to get used to playing competitive matches and sets. I enjoyed the match despite the result and I am looking forward to the Tramore Open in a few weeks and hope to get plenty of practice in between now and then.

The one down point for me was that everything was running late I was told 30 mins when I checked in but it ended up being hour late by the time we got on court. This wouldn't be a huge problem ordinarily but the match was due on court at 9.15 pm and didn't get out till nearly 10.15 pm which is just a little late for me on a Sunday night. I know that there was a reason for this outside the control of St Anne's and would like to say that everything else was great.

Ah these delays happen it is part and parcel of tennis. I tend to play in opens were there are more than 6 courts, it keeps the delays to a minimum. :)

Floppybits wrote: »
    Ah these delays happen it is part and parcel of tennis. I tend to play in opens were there are more than 6 courts, it keeps the delays to a minimum. :)

Oh I understand that delays can happen and the reason given for it was perfectly acceptable. They have 9 courts in St Anne's I think.

Advertisement