Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placebo

Options
  • 20-06-2013 3:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭

Excited for this, hopefully an Irish date in the Autumn!

Placebo just decided to reveal the tracklist for their 7th album, and they also decided to share with us some details about their upcoming single, Too Many Friends, from the same album.

According to the band’s official website, the album is going to be out on 16th September this year, and the single on 8th July.
    We are also very excited to announce the details of the first single to be taken from the album, will be the track ‘Too Many Friends’.

They also announced the fact that soon they are going to release a new video:
    Recently the band flew to Los Angeles to film the video for the single, directed by Saman Keshavarz which will be premiered in a few weeks, so make sure you stay tuned for that.
    Here is the album’s tracklist:

1. Loud Like Love
    2. Scene Of The Crime
    3. Too Many Friends
    4. Hold On To Me
    5. Rob The Bank
    6. A Million Little Pieces
    7. Exit Wounds
    8. Purify
    9. Begin The End
    10. Bosco

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Clemenza wrote: »
    Excited for this, hopefully an Irish date in the Autumn!

Placebo just decided to reveal the tracklist for their 7th album, and they also decided to share with us some details about their upcoming single, Too Many Friends, from the same album.

According to the band’s official website, the album is going to be out on 16th September this year, and the single on 8th July.
    We are also very excited to announce the details of the first single to be taken from the album, will be the track ‘Too Many Friends’.

They also announced the fact that soon they are going to release a new video:
    Recently the band flew to Los Angeles to film the video for the single, directed by Saman Keshavarz which will be premiered in a few weeks, so make sure you stay tuned for that.
    Here is the album’s tracklist:

1. Loud Like Love
    2. Scene Of The Crime
    3. Too Many Friends
    4. Hold On To Me
    5. Rob The Bank
    6. A Million Little Pieces
    7. Exit Wounds
    8. Purify
    9. Begin The End
    10. Bosco
    Awwww yeah! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The last album was fantastic IMO so hopefully this is as good. Saw them twice on the last tour and hopefully get the chance again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The last album was fantastic IMO so hopefully this is as good. Saw them twice on the last tour and hopefully get the chance again.

Missed their last tour, still gutted as the awesome Silversun Pickups were supporting :(

Agree about the last album, imo it's the best they've ever released!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I gave up on these guys after Battle For The Sun and the prospect of a new album makes me wonder why some bands don't just give up when they have nothing more to say. They're never going to reach the heights of Without You I'm Nothing again. Meds wasn't too bad but Battle For The Sun was terrible, and I don't exactly have high hopes for their new material. Only their first three albums are essential listening and maybe a few songs off Sleeping With Ghosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

As did I but boy did I love them back in the day. I'd be half tempted to see them again for nostalgia purposes but could only see it tainting past experiences.

If ever a band belonged to my adolescence, it's Placebo.

• Advertisement

I gave up on these guys after Battle For The Sun and the prospect of a new album makes me wonder why some bands don't just give up when they have nothing more to say. They're never going to reach the heights of Without You I'm Nothing again. Meds wasn't too bad but Battle For The Sun was terrible, and I don't exactly have high hopes for their new material. Only their first three albums are essential listening and maybe a few songs off Sleeping With Ghosts.

Really don't know how you can say Battle for the Sun was terrible.

I honestly thought it was the best collection of songs they've ever released. Kings of Medicine, Ashtray Heart, Breathe Underwater and For What it's Worth would not look out of place on any greatest hits collection!

I'm a sucker for sentiment and nostalgia, but Bright Lights is my favourite ever song of theirs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Really don't know how you can say Battle for the Sun was terrible.

I honestly thought it was the best collection of songs they've ever released. Kings of Medicine, Ashtray Heart, Breathe Underwater and For What it's Worth would not look out of place on any greatest hits collection!

I'm a sucker for sentiment and nostalgia, but Bright Lights is my favourite ever song of theirs :)
    - Ashtray Heart is the only decent song
    - The title track is awful
    - Contains their worst lyrics
    - Boring album cover
    - It has a very generic pop-rock sound
    - They sound like they're trying to sound bigger than they are
    - No sense of danger or darkness which made me like them in the first place
    - I can name quite a few albums released in 2009 that were far better than this

- Ashtray Heart is the only decent song
    - The title track is awful
    - Contains their worst lyrics
    - Boring album cover
    - It has a very generic pop-rock sound
    - They sound like they're trying to sound bigger than they are
    - No sense of danger or darkness which made me like them in the first place
    - I can name quite a few albums released in 2009 that were far better than this

1. Agree, shocking song
    2. It's not one of their lyrical miracles
    3. Meh, nitpicking
    4. Disagree. Julien is one of their darkest, most sinister tracks.
    5. Nothing wrong with that. They're an arena/stadium band on the continent, why not have an arena/stadium massive sound?
    6.Maybe Manics 'JFPL', but not much else!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Saw them on tour for Black Market Music. Feel I might have seen them at their creative peak....

seachto7 wrote: »
    Saw them on tour for Black Market Music. Feel I might have seen them at their creative peak....

Me too, great tour, greater setlist, think Idlewild were supporting, very under-rated band!

• Advertisement

I saw them in Italy and Sneaker Pimps were supporting. Very good gig. I also saw them a few years before at a festival in Italy on the Without You I'm Nothing album/tour cycle. Very good as well.

I saw them 4 times between the release of WYIN and BMM and then never saw them again.

A youthful binge which I look back on with very fond memories.

Had the pleasure of seeing Spite & Malice live too.

Not sure if they played that when I saw them. Rings a bell though....

Got a setlist signed on their Black Market Music tour show on Monday 4th December 2000 in the Olympia.

Setlist was:

Black-Eyed
    Days Before You Came
    Allergic (to Thoughts of Mother Earth)
    Haemoglobin
    Scared of Girls
    Bionic
    36 Degrees
    Passive Aggressive
    Every You Every Me
    Without You I'm Nothing
    Taste In Men
    Special K
    Slave to the Wage
    My Sweet Prince
    Commercial for Levi

Nancy Boy
    Pure Morning

Peeping Tom

Not sure if they played that when I saw them. Rings a bell though....
    They've only played it a handful of times over one night in LA and a weekend on the European festival circuit.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    They've only played it a handful of times over one night in LA and a weekend on the European festival circuit.

Understandable.

An horrific song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Got a setlist signed on their Black Market Music tour show on Monday 4th December 2000 in the Olympia.

Setlist was:

Black-Eyed
    Days Before You Came
    Haemoglobin
    Scared of Girls
    Bionic
    36 Degrees
    Passive Aggressive
    Every You Every Me
    Without You I'm Nothing
    Taste In Men
    Special K
    Slave to the Wage
    My Sweet Prince
    Commercial for Levi

Nancy Boy
    Pure Morning

Peeping Tom

That is a pretty impressive set list, but it does kind of add credance to the theory that they have regressed, I will still buy the album and plan on going to the gig in Glasgow in December but agree they are not as good as they were.

That is a pretty impressive set list, but it does kind of add credance to the theory that they have regressed, I will still buy the album and plan on going to the gig in Glasgow in December but agree they are not as good as they were.

I was just so in love with their last album, I wouldn't say they regressed at all :) Hopefully they'll add Dublin to their tour, they've never played the Academy before and it is probably the right sized venue for them now

New single

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Setlist was:

Black-Eyed
    Days Before You Came
    Haemoglobin
    Scared of Girls
    Bionic
    36 Degrees
    Passive Aggressive
    Every You Every Me
    Without You I'm Nothing
    Taste In Men
    Special K
    Slave to the Wage
    My Sweet Prince
    Commercial for Levi

Nancy Boy
    Pure Morning

Peeping Tom

It was the first gig I ever went to and still my favourite gig to this day. Loved it. I actually think I still have a tape recording of the gig.

Placebo used to be one of them bands you either hated or got obsessed with.

I also really liked BFTS and still listen to it a fair bit. My second favourite album after BMM. BFTS was a lot more optimistic sounding. Also got to see them a few times on the BFTS tour and think the new drummer has brought a freshness to the band. Seen them back in 2006 and 2007 and they were awful, just going through the motions, really looked like they were on the verge of breaking up. But they are totally different since Steve Hewitt left.

Looking forward to the new album and hopefully a gig in the Olympia.

LG1234 wrote: »
    It was the first gig I ever went to and still my favourite gig to this day. Loved it. I actually think I still have a tape recording of the gig.

Placebo used to be one of them bands you either hated or got obsessed with.

I also really liked BFTS and still listen to it a fair bit. My second favourite album after BMM. BFTS was a lot more optimistic sounding. Also got to see them a few times on the BFTS tour and think the new drummer has brought a freshness to the band. Seen them back in 2006 and 2007 and they were awful, just going through the motions, really looked like they were on the verge of breaking up. But they are totally different since Steve Hewitt left.

Looking forward to the new album and hopefully a gig in the Olympia.

Agree with everything here

BFTS is my favourite album and BMM is a close second, I concur!

Really hope to see them in the autumn!

I like that new song, I take it its about facebook or something? When I heard the first line though i cringed.

From the sound of the new song it looks like the new album will be more like BFTS than any of the older stuff, which Im pleased about. The band has grown up. In fact for me personally, each album they did kind of represented my life during that period. The band have grown with me and thats why im still a fan 15 years on after first hearing them.

To the previous poster who said they are trying to sound bigger than they actually are, Placebo are an arena band all over the world. They never got big over here in ireland, maybe because they skipped us on a lot of the tours, but in the UK and on the continent they sell out arenas each tour. They are also huge in South America, Mexico and some parts of Asia.

Danger writing songs about Facebook/youtube/iphones etc, it'll sound really dated in 10 years time...

Danger writing songs about Facebook/youtube/iphones etc, it'll sound really dated in 10 years time...

True, I don't like the lyrics on To Many Friends at all. Just heard the song Loud Like Love though and its really good.

I think when people can identify with a song in any decade, that's the key....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Really looking forward to the new album. Battle for the sun disappointed on first listens then went on to become one of my favourite albums in recent years. Seen them in Glasgow and man they nailed it, awesome gig and an awesome night.

Here's the Loud Like Love single. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Liking the album so far, I could listen to Brian Molko all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Liking the album so far, I could listen to Brian Molko all day.

Arrived in the post this morning and I can't feckin wait to get home to listen to it, it has been the longest day in work ever!

Advertisement